Alcatel-Lucent applies lightRadio™ innovation to extend high-speed mobile
broadband services across both cellular and Wi-Fi networks
lightRadio™ Wi-Fi expands the reach of mobile and fixed line operators by supporting seamless, fast, and secure access to broadband without the need to select from an array of networks and passwords
Paris, February 14, 2012 – Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is making it easier for
mobile device owners to access the Internet via Wi-Fi networks, at home or in hotspot locations, with the launch of lightRadio™ Wi-Fi.
When integrated into mobile networks and small-cell base stations, lightRadio Wi-Fi will allow
smartphones, tablets and other devices to switch automatically from a cellular network to Wi-Fi and back again – without the need for their owners to enter complex passwords or search for a secure wireless network to connect to.
The explosive demand for mobile broadband access is being driven by the mass adoption of
smartphones, tablets and laptops, all of which are Wi-Fi enabled. Wi-Fi provides low-cost, high-capacity connections to the Internet including Cloud-based applications and storage and has become universally adopted by consumers. However, confusion can arise when faced with complex Wi-Fi network log-in procedures and the many and varied ways to pay for using them.
There are often concerns about the level of security offered by an unfamiliar network too.
lightRadio Wi-Fi removes this complexity, allowing owners of mobile devices to roam between a cellular network and residential, privately- and publicly-owned Wi-Fi networks and hotspots with the complete peace of mind that these connections are secure. Security is a key concern for many people, especially those accessing services and streamed content from the Cloud, expecting uninterrupted services such as video streaming or phone calls.
lightRadio Wi-Fi offers a radical departure from the traditional way that mobile operators apply Wi-Fi.
Today it is typically used to ‘offload’ traffic from service providers’ congested wireless networks.
lightRadio Wi-Fi offers an integrated approach enabling subscribers to stay within their network and service plan and service providers to continue recognizing revenue, independent of how the customer is connected.
The lightRadio Wi-Fi approach is also highly applicable for fixed-line and cable service providers,
allowing them to extend wireless coverage to existing subscribers without having to invest in expensive spectrum or wireless infrastructure.
Ken Rehbehn, a principal analyst at Yankee Group said: “Delivering secure, seamless access to Wi-Fi networks is a key requirement in the market right now. Alcatel-Lucent’s lightRadio Wi-Fi provides operators with a comprehensive solution that smartly draws from the company’s strengths in radio access technology and IP routing. The result is an offer that lets operators leverage existing network assets while delivering demanding smartphone users an outstanding customer experience.”
Wim Sweldens, President of Alcatel-Lucent’s Wireless division said: “With lightRadio Wi-Fi, Alcatel-
Lucent gives service providers new options to meet consumers’ fast-growing broadband requirements.
Extending our groundbreaking lightRadio portfolio, service providers will be able to build closer
relationships with their customers by delivering seamless high-speed broadband connections, wherever they are, using LTE and Wi-Fi networks. For subscribers, this approach provides the peace of mind they want when accessing the Internet wherever they go.”
Alcatel-Lucent is extending the lightRadio ecosystem to allow service providers access to the widest range of Wi-Fi networks. Alcatel-Lucent is collaborating with several major Wi-Fi access point companies to ensure interoperability.
About Alcatel-Lucent’s lightRadio Wi-Fi solution:
Alcatel-Lucent is combining its leadership in Wireless and Internet Protocol (IP) technology to integrate high-capacity, seamless and secure Wi-Fi with 3G and 4G LTE cellular networks. Service providers are able to integrate lightRadio Wi-Fi into their access portfolio by:
· Deploying Alcatel-Lucent’s lightRadio multi-standard Femtocells and Metrocells, with integrated
Wi-Fi as an option. Metrocells provide additional network capacity and coverage in dense urban
centers, airports or busy shopping malls, and femtocells are ‘personal base stations’ for
increasing coverage and capacity in homes or offices. Integrating Wi-Fi into Alcatel-Lucent’s
already comprehensive Femtocell portfolio will further increase Alcatel-Lucent’s global
leadership in this technology.
· Deploying Alcatel-Lucent’s newly launched lightRadio Wi-Fi enabled product portfolio:
o Secure Wi-Fi gateway functionality has been added to further enhance Alcatel-Lucent’s
market-leading 7750 Service Router. This enables service providers to offer large-scale
Wi-Fi services in conjunction with fixed and mobile broadband services from a single
platform, reducing cost and complexity.
o The Automatic Network Discovery and Selection (ANDSF) function has been added to
Alcatel-Lucent’s policy manager, the 5780 Dynamic Services Controller. This allows the
automatic selection of the “best” network connection based on criteria such as service
type, subscription type and network congestion levels, helping to improve the overall
Alcatel-Lucent offers full services and end-to-end project management expertise to help service
providers deploy lightRadio Wi-Fi quickly and easily to meet their business goals and the needs of their customers.
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world’s foremost R&D organizations, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent is committed to making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission – Realizing the Potential of a Connected World.
With operations in more than 130 countries and one of the most experienced global services organizations in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 16 billion in 2010 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel- Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter:
ALCATEL-LUCENT PRESS CONTACTS
SIMON POULTER email@example.com T : +33 (0)1 40 76 50 84
ALCATEL-LUCENT INVESTOR RELATIONS
FRANK MACCARY firstname.lastname@example.org T : + 33 (0)1 40 76 12 11
TOM BEVILACQUA email@example.com T : + 1 908-582-7998
CONSTANCE DE CAMBIAIRE firstname.lastname@example.org T : +33 (0)1 40 76 10 13
lightRadio™ Wi-Fi extends wireless service providers’ reach, providing subscribers with a simple way to access the best available mobile broadband connection wherever they are
About Alcatel-Lucent’s lightRadio solution
Alcatel-Lucent lightRadio Wi-Fi solution enables service providers to integrate Wi-Fi into their access portfolio by:
• Deploying Alcatel-Lucent’s lightRadio multi-standard Femtocells and Metrocells with integrated Wi-Fi access.
• Adding secure Wi-Fi gateway functionality to the Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router.
• Adding an Automatic Network Discovery and Selection function to our policy manager, the 5780 Dynamic Services Controller, allowing people to connect to the “best” network based on criteria such as their location, subscription type, network performance and analytics.
· Introduction of lightRadio Wi-FI. Under the program Alcatel-Lucent is currently working with (Aerohive, Arris, Aruba, BelAir, Motorola, Ruckus) and is expanding the program to enable Wi-Fi network operators to become “lightRadio ready”.
With the 30x data growth usage operators are realize they are under pressure to support subscribers due to:
– More varied devices, thousands of apps, new ones daily – all stress the IP side of the equation in addition to wireless bandwidth; the network gets more complex. What was once 3G will soon be 3G, 4G and WiFi and problems could result. Complexity is ensured. The speed of new apps and devices means operators can’t anticipate network needs quickly enough.
– Network complexity is getting worse app by app, device by device. This is a day when network anarchy could be close at hand. Subscriber are becoming used to connecting their smartphones, tablets and PC’s over Wi-Fi and become frustrated when they have to enter log-in credential to make a “simple” connection.
One element of a solving the problem. Introducing….
lightRadio Wi-Fi – Wi-Fi the way it should be:
To solve the increase frustration issue of Users and enables an operator, wired or wireless, to put in a managed solution into an existing network. lightRadio™ Wi-Fi will leverage existing Wi-Fi access points or, in Greenfield areas and integrate it with the mobile operator network. lightRadio Wi-Fi will operate with either a Wi-Fi vendor of choice or an Alcatel-Lucent partner product that has been tested and integrated in with our products.
Alcatel-Lucent lightRadio™ Wi-Fi extends the mobile broadband paradigm
The benefits are industry changing:
• Everybody loves hotspots because they are faster and cheaper for smartphone or tablet connectivity while roaming – roaming costs can range up to $10 per megabit
• But, public Wi-Fi access requires sorting through a jumble of hotspots, complicated authentication and tracking of multiple passwords. Lacks service guarantees, security and unified billing
Benefit with lightRadio Wi-Fi
• No more Wi-Fi log-in requirement – people access Wi-Fi automatically and stay on their service provider’s network
• No need to worry about signing on, and dealing with different encryption types, passwords, or figuring out which hotspot is best
• Easy access equals a better experience for consumers, resulting in less churn
• Service providers lose their connection with subscribers when they switch to competitors Wi-Fi or random hotspots (e.g., when roaming / offloading)
• This means they lose opportunities to offer new services, bundle offers, and manage the customer experience, which can impede customer care efforts
Benefit with lightRadio Wi-Fi
• Users move seamlessly between the service provider’s Wi-Fi and cellular networks – one continuous experience
• By “keeping” the customer, the operator has increased opportunities to address customer concerns and offer more personalized and bundled services – which will help attract and retain customers and lead to greater revenues
• Subscribers want access to broader coverage, increased security and cheaper roaming fees
• Service providers want to find more ways to make money and add capacity and coverage – but still keep their costs low
Benefit with lightRadio Wi-Fi
• New wireless service without high cost of licensed spectrum
• Ecosystem of partners simplifies network introduction
• Increased network coverage & capacity through integration of Wi-Fi, 2G, 3G, 4G/LTE – across femto, metro & macro
• New revenue channels for retail and wholesale models
• Service bundling to increase stickiness
The “lightRadio™ Wi-Fi” is a part of the lightRadio Portfolio
The Trusted Wi-Fi solution can also incorporate into a wireless network design that includes Alcatel-Lucent metro cells. Metro Cells have the option of having Wi-Fi inside, which means Wi-Fi with 3G, 4G, or 3G and 4G Metro Cells in one deployable unit.
The benefit is that the operator now has three mobile broadband data paths that translates into more capacity and ease of use to offer subscribers.