Alcatel-Lucent prepares operators for agile optical networking by launching scalable wavelength routing technology
Verizon to deploy on U.S. ultra-longhaul optical network for improved flexibility and agility of service delivery, scale and efficiency
Paris, March 30, 2015
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) has announced the introduction of an innovation breakthrough in optical routing technology that will provide operators with flexibility and agility in the deployment of new optical transport networks.
Alcatel-Lucent is offering the communications industry a scalable wavelength routing technology that will help remove many of the limitations currently facing operators as they seek to manage both capacity demands and the need for speed and efficiency.
In particular, the technology – which will be deployed by Verizon in North America on its ultra-longhaul optical network – will allow service providers to quickly adjust wavelength connections, automate tasks on a wide scale, and identify and route around faults in fiber infrastructure – all vital capabilities necessary to deploy scalable agile optical networks.
By providing agility at the photonic layer, Alcatel-Lucent’s wavelength routing technology will enable static optical networks to be transformed into automated, flexible and highly efficient infrastructures, while enabling operators to reduce capital expenditure and energy costs in comparison to electrically switched-only alternatives.
- The Alcatel-Lucent wavelength routing solution reduces network total cost of ownership:
- Reduction in capital expenditure when compared to electrically switched-only alternatives
- Fewer equipment spares required
- Less power when compared to electrically switched-only alternatives
- Significant reduction in operational costs with no need for on-site visits to adjust wavelength connectivity
- Extends network lifespan and increases network use by minimizing wavelength contention
- Future-proofed wavelengths can be scaled (e.g., grow from 100G to 200G and beyond) without changing equipment required to route wavelengths
- The solution delivers improved zero-touch automation with increased operational efficiency and network scale.
- The Alcatel-Lucent wavelength routing capabilities are deployed on the 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS), which Verizon chose for its ultra-longhaul, core optical network. Verizon selected Alcatel-Lucent’s 1830 PSS converged WDM/OTN/Packet based-platform as part of its transition to an optical converged infrastructure to address traffic growth and enable faster and less expensive deployment of new services.
- The wavelength routing solution consists of specialized CDC-F hardware and Wave Routing Engine (WRE) software. The WRE software provides end-to-end wavelength routing, deployment, and management capabilities. This includes unique in-band per wavelength OAM capabilities to allow for efficient monitoring of wavelength connectivity and support the rapid diagnosis and troubleshooting of potential wavelength connectivity issues, a key requirement for deploying wavelength routing in optical networks at scale.
- CDC-F (Colorless Directionless Contentionless-FlexGrid) is the technology behind wavelength routing. Although the optical networking industry has been talking about the benefits of CDC-F technology for several years, this is the first solution to be deployed at scale.
Lee Hicks, Vice President, Global Network Planning, Verizon, said: “We look forward to working with Alcatel-Lucent to introduce their wavelength routing solution into our ultra longhaul network to drive scalability, flexibility and reliability.”
Brian Fitzgerald, Senior Vice President, Global Solutions, Alcatel-Lucent, said: “Operators need unlimited network dynamism and scale. A programmable IP/optical fabric is essential. Our wavelength routing technology is a foundational ingredient in providing the unparalleled flexibility with massive automation and increased efficiency that are needed in the optical layer. This solution provides unconstrained wavelength networking and can be deployed at scale.”
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is the leading IP networking, ultra-broadband access and cloud technology specialist. We are dedicated to making global communications more innovative, sustainable and accessible for people, businesses and governments worldwide. Our mission is to invent and deliver trusted networks to help our customers unleash their value. Every success has its network.