Alcatel-Lucent’s LTE technology drives European Aviation Network launched by Deutsche Telekom and Inmarsat
Alcatel-Lucent will deploy LTE technology for Deutsche Telekom’s European ground network, complementing Inmarsat’s S-band satellite services and enabling fast, reliable Internet access in the air
Paris, France, October 08, 2015
- Alcatel-Lucent is providing Deutsche Telekom with a complete LTE network for the provision of the first commercial hybrid LTE and satellite European network for airplane passengers – the first in the world to use LTE. Alcatel-Lucent will deploy its Radio Access Network (RAN) technology using customized remote radio heads (RRHs) and the IP Mobile Core as well as network operations and field service support.
- The European Aviation Network will provide fast and easy-to-use services for passengers and airlines traveling across Europe.
- Alcatel-Lucent and Deutsche Telekom entered into a research project in 2009, leading to the first test flight in 2011 when the companies have jointly tested LTE for use in air-to-ground networks and continue to shape the ecosystem.
- Inmarsat, a global leader in satellite technology, announced a technology collaboration with Alcatel-Lucent in November 2014 to adapt Alcatel-Lucent’s LTE technology to support the S-Band spectrum.
- Deutsche Telekom will be deploying the European Aviation Network together with Inmarsat.
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is the leading IP networking, ultra-broadband access and cloud technology specialist. We are dedicated to making global communications more innovative, sustainable and accessible for people, businesses and governments worldwide. Our mission is to invent and deliver trusted networks to help our customers unleash their value. Every success has its network.