2nd July 2011,
Today Research In Motion (RIM) announced the global availability of the BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™) Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry Java final version and the BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™) Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry WebWorks™ first public beta version. The BBM Social Platform SDK is the toolset which enables developers to build a new class of super apps that leverage the power of the BBM social interactions. BBM has over 45 million active users world-wide and is growing at over 2 million active users per month.
The SDKs give Java and web developers access to new APIs that enable them to deeply integrate BBM social interactions in their apps, providing better differentiation. They can also leverage a powerful paradigm for app monetization through the viral distribution channel represented by the conversations of 45 million BBM users. They can build highly socially engaging apps including multimedia, gaming, location-based services (LBS), VoIP, video and commerce that now bring users’ friends, families, and colleagues into those experiences. Within those apps, not only can users connect and chat with BBM contacts but they can also share application achievements and content in real time.
BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry Java
The final version of the BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) Social Platform SDK 1.0 for Blackberry Java adds a few changes and refinements to the platform since the last beta refresh in the spring of this year. These additions further equip BlackBerry to be the mobile platform of choice for delivering social applications and experiences. Below are a few of the APIs new in this release that enable developers to deliver engaging and interactive social experiences:
· The ability for an application to receive invitations from other users who are not on their contact list.
· Contact picker UI changed to improve the selection of multiple contacts and for initiating a multi-user chat.
· The ability to send a join invitation to a user who does not have the app installed.
· A new API to determine whether the app is running on the test platform or production platform.
Developers can already get started and download the final version of the BBM Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry Java now available from BlackBerry Developer Zone at http://us.blackberry.com/developers/blackberrymessenger/ to create the new build for their apps. BBM 6 will support apps using the BBM Social Platform.
BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry WebWorks
At its first public beta the BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry WebWorks adds full support to the BlackBerry WebWorks platform and brings the amazing features of the BBM Social Platform to web developers. Now they can add social features to their web application through the following APIs:
· access and update fields in the user’s BBM profile such as status, avatar and personal message
· create their own custom areas within the user’s BBM profile for promoting recent application activity or storing trophies and achievements
· initiate BBM chats with friends
· initiate BBM file transfers
· share applications virally with friends in their contact list
· initiate application-to-application background communication through BBM for sending and receiving application data, such as game moves, or alternatively, leverage this communication channel for enabling in-app chat
The beta version for BlackBerry WebWorks can be downloaded from the BlackBerry Developer Zone at http://us.blackberry.com/developers/blackberrymessenger/
To learn more about the BBM Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry Java and the BBM Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry WebWorks
and how developers can submit their apps to App World go to http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/06/bbm-sdk-for-java and http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/06/bbm-sdk-for-webworks respectively.