CHINA UNICOM, THTI AND TELEFÓNICA OPEN FUTURE_ CHOOSE THE BEST PROJECTS RELATING TO THE INTERNET OF THINGS
The eight winning projects will have a personalised acceleration plan with access to the incubators of the three companies, located in 17 countries
Madrid, 1 September 2015 – China Unicom, THTI, the Tsinghua University innovation platform, and Telefónica Open Future_, Telefónica’s global entrepreneurship and investment network, have selected eight innovative Internet of Things (IoT) projects as the winners of the global joint call for project submissions. The global call was launched in March during Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
The Spanish startups Ubikwa and Zolertia, Chilean firm WiseConn and the Chinese enterprises Yaoyao, Mugeda, Vigo, Amesante and LoveLive were announced as the winners. This was out of 1000 startups projects from 16 different countries focusing on all types of economic sectors.
- Smart Silo is a pioneering low-cost/no-maintenance solution developed by Ubikwa Systems for the remote control of farm silos. The solution uses a 3D scanner to measure volume and stocks with precision, thereby making it easier to gain a better understanding of consumption of feed, re-stocking needs and improved general management of the stock. In addition, it connects farms with feed distributors by facilitating and optimising supply and logistics. Installing this system reduces CO2 emissions by 25%.
- WiseConn has created a platform that integrates hardware and software to manage water and energy efficiently, with low monitoring costs and a central data platform. Its capacity for monitoring weather and soil conditions and for controlling water levels in reservoirs, wells and canals allow watering requirements to be adapted completely and efficiently.
- Zolertia resolves the problems of collecting, connecting and transmitting data remotely while requiring hardly any energy consumption. Zolertia’s new hardware, Re-Mote, is user-friendly and allows the user to connect projects and products more quickly and efficiently, while managing to do this with an energy requirement that is 60 times lower than usual.
- Yaoyao has developed a powerful tool for car insurance agents in a market such as China where 40% of car insurance policies are taken out through agents who have close relationships with their customers. Yaoyao allows agents to integrate all relevant information for them, helping them to manage their customer portfolio and their ongoing customer relations, increasing loyalty and reinforcing their strategic positioning.
- Mugeda enriches emotional communication in social networks by creating and distributing micro-cards with personalised interactive animations in a natural evolution, through mobile telephones, from traditional greetings cards, thank-you cards and so on. These micro-cards have a greater emotional connection than videos, voice messages or written messages. Mugeda is compatible with all social media and has been functioning for nearly two years on WeChat. During this time it has distributed around 500 million cards to some 140 million users.
- Vigo is a whole digital ecosystem specialising in the transport sector which detects workplace fatigue. It conducts a complete analysis of drivers to detect cases of fatigue and sends an alert in the case of danger, thus minimising the risk of accidents. Vigo’s solution boasts an innovative intelligent wire-free earpiece, an app and a cloud-based monitoring system; it incorporates tools to manage transport, such as the capacity to speak with the driver, optimised route management, working hour monitoring and management of merchandise delivery information, delivery note signing, barcode scanning and receipt of merchandise.
- Amé Santé connects medical technology and Internet technology through mobiles, apps and wearables in order to monitor and analyse the state of health and wellbeing of pregnant women and patients with chronic conditions. Amé Santé also offers nutritional and medical recommendations and alerts, as well as remote access to medical professionals, pharmacists and nutritionists.
- LoveLive enables complete interactive participation in live events, covering the event’s entire lifecycle and facilitating close-range social interactivity with an app and a wrist-worn wearable. LoveLive provides an active community and a real-time platform to interact directly with hosts, musicians and the audience, transforming each live event into a complete and unmatchable experience for everyone involved, including organisers, musicians and the audience.
The winning projects will have a specific plan tailored to them to accelerate their venture. The programme includes office space, developing pilot plans in the R&D units of the three companies, privileged access to sources of investment and considerable commercial and networking opportunities arising out of the extensive commercial base of the three companies.
They will also be able to access the incubator and accelerator network of the three companies in 17 countries, as well as the crowdworking space reserved especially for this competition in Madrid, Beijing and Shanghai.
According to Cristobal Rivas, CEO of Wiseconn, “This call for project submissions has enabled us to see the interest of Telefónica and its partners in developing joint solutions, as well as being able to discuss the Internet of Things with high-level professionals, something which always contributes a great deal of value to us”.
Jaume Gelada, CEO of Ubikwa Systems, said, “To have been selected in this call for submissions has been really satisfying. We decided to submit an entry because it seemed an interesting challenge which would allow us to measure ourselves against the most innovative projects in the area of the Internet of Things. It is an excellent opportunity for us to open a commercial relationship with Telefónica Open Future_, China Unicom and THTI, accessing the markets where these great companies are present and accessing the necessary funding to accelerate our business project”.
In the words of Ana Segurado, director of Telefónica Open Future_, “The Internet of Things is one of the fields of technological endeavour with the greatest development potential due to its multiple applications, the innovations it will bring to our lives and the efficiency it contributes to existing processes. The alliance between Telefónica Open Future_, China Unicom and THTI comprises a powerful global platform for global development and growth of innovative projects in this field.”
Telefónica, China Unicom and THTI have been collaborating with each other since June 2014, when they signed an agreement to promote a global platform for open innovation by sharing their resources and sources of innovation.
China Unicom has branches and subsidiaries in 31 provinces, municipalities and autonomous regions in China as well as a list of countries and regions abroad, it is the only Chinese telecom operator that is listed in New York, Hong Kong and Shanghai simultaneously. China Unicom has been among Fortune 500 Companies for many consecutive years, it ranks No. 258 among Fortune 500 in 2013. China Unicom mainly operates fixed line communication services, mobile communication services, domestic and international communication facility services, satellite international dedicated links, data communication services, network access services and various value-added telecom services, as well as system integration services related to communication and information business. China Unicom’s revenue, customer base and market capitalization are all among leading telecom operators in the world. In 2014, China Unicom set up a wholly owned subsidiary – Unicom Innovation Venture Capital Ltd. Together with local governmental authorities and universities in Shanghai, it founded China Unicom Center for International Mobile Internet Entrepreneurship (CIMIE), a constituting function of Unicom Innovation Venture Capital. By combining its incubation services and investment platform, the company will be able to foster innovation, capture new growth opportunities, and attract innovation talents.
Tsinghua Holdings Technology and Innovation Holdings Co., Ltd. (“THTI”) is a science and technology service provider and a science park operator, with technological innovation services as its primary business. THTI is a member enterprise and the technological innovation platform of Tsinghua Holdings Co., Ltd. Dedicated to the technological services industry, THTI focuses its strategy on regional innovation and technological company development through chain operations, network, capital and internalization, and gradually developed five main business areas, covering innovation and entrepreneurship, science parks, investment and incubation, technology related finance, and international businesses.
Telefónica Open Future
Telefónica Open Future_ is a global, open programme designed to connect entrepreneurs, startups, investors and public and private organisations worldwide. Its aim is to steer innovation towards developing viable projects, by means of a model that gives visibility to talent and connects that talent with organisations, investors and companies. Telefónica Open Future_ combines all Telefónica’s initiatives focusing on open innovation, entrepreneurship, investment and transformation (Think Big, Talentum, Wayra, crowdworking spaces, Telefónica Ventures, Amérigo and the CIP platform) and places them within the reach of strategic partners, to enable joint development of specific programmes to support entrepreneurship. The OPEN FUTURE_ universe already boasts investments in over 550 startups worldwide, a network of more than 30 spaces and 62 agreements with public and private partners in Europe, Latin America and Asia. It has invested a total of EUR 647 million, while EUR 733 million has been pledged.