Report: Cisco Achieves Top Rank in Americas’ x86 Blade Server Market, Named No. 1 in Revenue Market Share
Report by Industry Analyst Firm IDC Validates Cisco UCS Leadership, Which Reaches Top Spot in Americas in Just Five Years
Cisco also demonstrated the highest industry growth in the total worldwide server market according to the IDC report, with 39% revenue growth on a cumulative four quarter basis ending in calendar Q1 of 2014, a period where other vendors in the top five posted flat or declining results. Cisco also maintained its position as second worldwide in x86 blade server revenue market share, with a top-five ranking among server vendors overall.
“Disruptive innovation has been the secret to our server success,” said Paul Perez, vice president and general manager, Cisco UCS. “In 2009 we delivered the first true innovation the server industry had seen in over a decade. Five years later, we’re now the undisputed leader in x86 blade servers across the Americas, and are poised to capture the worldwide market over the next few quarters. Our innovation engine continues to accelerate; it must, the market is moving fast. Customers are adopting UCS because our innovation drives positive business outcomes for them. Our application-centric infrastructure will revolutionize the application experience and unlock further growth for Cisco.”
Cisco Unified Computing System™ (UCS), which unifies computing, networking and solid-state application acceleration technology into a single integrated architecture, has received strong support from customers since entering the server market five years ago. As of May 2014, Cisco UCS® has attracted over 33,000 unique customers from 75% of all Fortune 500 companies, which is responsible for 45% year-over-year growth.
This IDC report validates Cisco® UCS’s status as a leading platform for critical business applications, big data and virtual desktop services, gaining market share for the 17th consecutive quarter since it began shipping in July 2009. Since its introduction in 2009, UCS has claimed 94 world records on application performance benchmarks, most recently posting three new record-setting benchmark performance results on SAP and Java workloads, as measured by the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC).
The growth of Cisco UCS has been driven in part by a continuing industry build out of cloud computing environments. Automation and virtualization innovations unique to UCS make it a platform of choice for enterprise private cloud initiatives and for public cloud development by Service Providers worldwide.
Cisco UCS has also proven to be an ideal platform for integrated infrastructure — one of the fastest growing segments of the IT industry. According to the IDC Worldwide Integrated Infrastructure & Platforms Tracker Q4 2013; April 29, 2014, Cisco-based solutions dominate the integrated infrastructure market with 42.8% market share. Led by VCE Vblock Systems and FlexPod Solutions, the Cisco integrated infrastructure solutions feature Cisco server and networking technology along with best-of-breed storage and data protection from EMC, NetApp or Hitachi Data Systems.
Cisco’s channel partners are fueling this rapid growth by driving 80% of all Cisco UCS sales, allowing these partners to capture burgeoning private and hybrid cloud opportunities.
Blogs, Videos and Infographics
- Read Cisco UCS GM Paul Perez’s blog, “Customers Choose Innovation”
- Watch Citrix executive Tom Flick on Cisco UCS momentum and virtual desktop collaboration
- Read Citrix blog, #1 x86 Blade Server market share in Americas
- Read EMC blog, Welcome To The Club: Cisco UCS Joins VSPEX As Analyst’s Top Ranked Technology
- Watch NetApp executive Thomas Stanley discuss Cisco UCS and FlexPod innovation
- Watch Microsoft executive Brad Anderson discuss Cisco UCS momentum
- Read VCE blog, Cisco Leads the Pack in x86 Blade Servers
- Read Cisco channel blog: Partners and Cisco UCS + ACI = Amazing Together
- View UCS 5th anniversary infographic
- Watch UCS Fifth Anniversary Customer Video
- Read the March 24 press release, including highlights from the 5th anniversary of Cisco UCS
- Learn more about Cisco UCS
- Learn more about Cisco UCS Application Performance and read about the latest results
- Learn more about Cisco data center solutions
- Learn more about Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI)
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.