Citrix Introduces Next-Generation Carrier-Grade NetScaler for Communications Service Providers
Delivers Up to 300% Better Performance-to-Price than Competing Products
MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS, BARCELONA, Spain – March 2, 2015 – Today, Citrix announced the availability of the NetScaler® MPX 25000 series, a carrier-grade application delivery controller (ADC) for communications service providers featuring Citrix TriScale® technology and the industry’s highest performance-to-price ratio.
The next-generation NetScaler is a two rack-unit (2RU) 160 gigabit-per-second appliance that enables operators to scale mobile S/Gi-LAN data plane capacity to 3.5 terabits-per-second while preserving earlier capacity investments. As operators shift towards NFV, the NetScaler MPX 25000 series can enable that transition by converting to a multi-tenant platform supporting dozens of virtual ADC instances. The new appliances solve the challenges of cost-prohibitive capacity scaling, underutilized application delivery investments and the absence of physical-to-virtual application delivery alternatives.
To ensure future success, mobile network operators must find ways to support mass scale at a dramatically lower cost per unit of capacity, while ensuring the ability to evolve different elements of their network at different rates. These cloud-scale efficiencies and economics are built into the NetScaler MPX 25000 series.
By using merchant silicon rather than the custom ASICs common to competing ADC products, NetScaler benefits from a steeper processor price-performance curve, one that translates directly to a performance-to-price ratio advantage. This approach, combined with the NetScaler software-defined architecture provides operators with the flexibility to migrate from physical to virtual appliances on the same platform. Whether implemented in this fashion or deployed as new, the NetScaler virtual instances offer identical functionality to the NetScaler MPX 25000 appliances.
Cloud-Scale Economics Enable New Price-Performance Standard
As the industry’s leading ADC for public and telco clouds, which require tens of thousands of servers, NetScaler has been designed to ensure cost-effective deployment at scale. The carrier-grade NetScaler MPX 25000 series has a:
· 1.5X higher performance-to-price ratio than competing chassis-based products
· 3X higher performance-to-price ratio than competing appliance-based products
Additional benefits of the NetScaler MPX 25000 for communication service providers include providing the ability to:
· Scale mobile S/Gi-LAN services – Enables operators to scale any network use case, including optimization and gateway load balancing, CGNAT and traffic-steering in the data plane; and LTE DNS, SMPP, SIP, and Diameter load-balancing in the control plane.
· Consolidate multiple use cases on a single platform – Allows operators to reduce use case-specific deployments that add complexity and inefficiency to the S/Gi-LAN environment. The most impactful consolidated scenario is that of carrier-grade network address translation (CGNAT) and data-plane load balancing and, optionally, traffic steering.
· Minimize stranded investments – Helps operators protect their network infrastructure investment through Citrix TriScale® scale-out clustering, which enables multiple appliances to be treated as a single logical and functional unit. As operators look to minimize up-front investment and scale capacity with new hardware, they can continue to make use of the original hardware.
· Bridge the NFV gap – Helps operators protect and transition their network infrastructure to multi-tenant appliances supporting up to eighty virtual ADC instances with Citrix TriScale scale-in multi-tenancy.
Gabriel Brown, Principal Analyst, Heavy Reading
“Mobile operators absolutely want to adopt to cloud-scale technologies and bring high-volume data-center economics to their networks. A low cost-of-production, in combination with dynamic control of network resources through software, will make it easier and faster to pursue new commercial opportunities.”
Klaus Oestermann, VP & GM, Networking, Cloud and Service Provider Platform Group, Citrix
“The NFV-driven discontinuity in the mobile industry is challenging operators to re-architect and rethink their delivery networks. Drawing on our experience from deployments in more than 140 mobile networks and in the world’s largest public clouds, Citrix continues to deliver the technology innovation to help mobile operators transform their networks. This is made possible by NetScaler – the industry’s only fully software-defined ADC. As mobile operators have started to transition the S/Gi-LAN to this new paradigm, they’ve highlighted to us the need to scale their networks now while significantly bending the cost curve. With the new NetScaler MPX 25000 platform, we’ve taken everything we know about cloud-scale economics and put it into an appliance that dramatically lowers the price/performance bar for ADCs in the mobile network.”
Citrix NetScaler MPX 25000 will be generally available March 16, 2015.
- Announcement: Greece’s Leading Telecommunications Operator WIND Hellas Enhances Subscriber Mobile Video Experience with Citrix ByteMobile Adaptive Traffic Management Platform
- Announcement: Citrix Data Reveal New Global Trends in Consumer and Enterprise
- NetScaler for Mobile Networks product page
- ByteMobile product page
- Twitter: @Citrix @NetScaler @ByteMobile
- Facebook: Citrix
Citrix (NASDAQ:CTXS) is leading the transition to software-defining the workplace, uniting virtualization, mobility management, networking and SaaS solutions to enable new ways for businesses and people to work better. Citrix solutions power business mobility through secure, mobile workspaces that provide people with instant access to apps, desktops, data and communications on any device, over any network and cloud. With annual revenue in 2014 of $3.14 billion, Citrix solutions are in use at more than 330,000 organizations and by over 100 million users globally. Learn more at www.citrix.com.