CITYLINK LOOKS TO JUNIPER NETWORKS TO DRIVE DELIVERY OF VALUE-ADDED TELECOM SERVICES
Routing and Switching Upgrade Will Boost Reliability, Capacity and Services at Fiber Network Operator
Hong Kong, Dec. 17, 2013 – Juniper Networks, the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that fiber network service provider CityLink will transition its routing and switching infrastructure to run on the Juniper Networks® Junos® operating system with Juniper Networks MX480 3D Universal Edge Routers and Juniper Networks EX4550 Ethernet Switches. This upgrade will enable CityLink to increase network availability while making a leap in capacity and will also allow it to build new revenue streams around managed network services.
· The market success of CityLink’s services and the ever increasing demand for fiber optic based service has created the need for a more operationally streamlined, scalable network infrastructure. To address this challenge, CityLink will deploy Juniper Networks SDN-ready MX480 3D Universal Edge Routers within four data centers across Auckland and Wellington by the end of the first half of 2014, establishing a high-performance Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) based network core. The MX480, which scales to 5.7Tbps capacity, will boost network performance, manageability and reliability by logically segmenting the city-wide network into multiple MPLS protected domains, enabling CityLink to maximize the potential of its fiber optic cable infrastructure.
· In tandem with this, CityLink will also deploy Juniper Networks EX4550 Ethernet Switches as MPLS nodes to provide much greater scale at the network edge in support of new 10 Gigabit per second Ethernet services. In addition to providing an increased number of end-points, multiple EX4550 switches have been combined into a Virtual Chassis configuration, creating a single logical device, which greatly simplifies CityLink’s network management processes.
· With the new Juniper Networks infrastructure in place, CityLink will have the ability to offer a new generation of value-added services to its customers – including virtual private Ethernets spanning multiple sites and increased service options both Intra City and Inter City, which will be further enhanced with managed security and other advanced IP services.
· To develop the solution, a Juniper Networks systems engineer worked closely with the CityLink technical team to gain a deep understanding of their requirements and develop a full proof-of-concept environment to test the solution and demonstrate its key features. NEC New Zealand was also closely involved to ensure that the technical and commercial proposition matched CityLink’s requirements.
Established in the mid-90s as a business support initiative by the Wellington City Council, CityLink is now part of the TeamTalk Group. It operates fiber optic networks across the central business districts of Wellington and Auckland, New Zealand’s Internet Exchanges as well as data centers in the two cities and free WiFi hotspots in Wellington’s city center, which is accessed more than 180,000 times a month by 30,000 smart phones, tablet and laptop users.
“With the fiber optic broadband network that is already in place, CityLink is ahead of the game in terms of delivering high-capacity networking across New Zealand’s most important commercial and government centers. Our program of investment in new routing and switching infrastructure is aimed at enabling a step change in the quality and range of services we can deliver. Juniper Networks’ carrier-class heritage and single operating system across its routing, switching and security platforms give us a lot of confidence their solution will enable us to meet those goals.”
-Nick Willis, chief executive officer, CityLink
“New Zealand’s Ultrafast Broadband Initiative has put a lot of focus on the potential of fiber services, and for customers in the Auckland and Wellington Central Business Districts, the full potential will be available to them early next year through CityLink. With its new carrier-grade infrastructure in place, CityLink will be able to leverage its advanced Junos-powered capabilities to deliver world-class network services for business and public sectors customers.”
-Ken Lord, New Zealand country manager, Juniper Networks
· Relevant Juniper Website: http://www.juniper.net/au/en/
· Juniper.Net Community: www.juniper.net/community
· Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
· Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
· CityLink Website: http://www.citylink.co.nz
· TeamTalk Group: http://www.teamtalkinvestor.co.nz
Juniper Networks for Service Providers
Juniper Networks powers the world’s largest and most demanding networks. Our customers include the world’s top 100 service providers—the biggest and busiest wireline and wireless carriers, cable and satellite operators, content and Internet services providers, and cloud and data center providers. Whatever the challenge, every day, our service provider customers depend on Juniper Networks to deliver mission-critical transactions, applications and services.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks’ innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.