Columbus Networks Selects Juniper Networks to Advance
Communications and Service Delivery Infrastructure
Undersea Fiber-Optic Provider Seamlessly Transitions to T4000 Core Routers
to Double Network Capacity, Expand Services and Control Costs
Hong Kong, Aug. 21, 2013 – Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that Columbus Networks, a leading undersea fiber optic network provider, has upgraded its network core with the Juniper Networks® T4000 Core Routers. Enhancing its existing Juniper Networks T1600 core routing infrastructure, the T4000 provides the scalability and flexibility necessary to meet rapidly expanding bandwidth requirements for hosted services and multimedia applications, including mobile, video, cloud and research. The upgrade simultaneously extends the investment protection of the T Series platform.
Columbus Networks, with its joint venture partner CWC Wholesale Solutions, operates the largest subsea multi-ring fiber-optic network across the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and United States, with more than 26,000 miles of subsea fiber. This platform allows for superior reliability and scalability of international wholesale capacity bandwidth services, corporate data applications, and data center hosting to telecommunications companies and Internet service providers (ISPs) across 42 countries. Staying ahead of the performance curve, Columbus Networks needed a disruption-free upgrade path for its core routing infrastructure to deliver massive performance gains, advanced routing functionality and predictive control over ongoing operational costs.
· Improving Core Network Performance and Density – A true multiservice core router, the T4000 system delivers a reliable, high-performance and flexible architecture to carry a wide breadth of services over a common IP/MPLS infrastructure. With nearly four terabits of line rate throughput in a half-rack chassis, the T4000 allows Columbus Networks to double the capacity in its core network to aid the rapid increase in Internet traffic thanks to over-the-top video and cloud-based services, which are projected to triple in four years. At 240 Gbps/slot, the T4000 is optimized for transport and service provider backbone networks.
· Disruption Free Migration Path – The T4000 routers continue Juniper Networks’ history of delivering high performance and network simplicity by enabling Columbus Networks to take its existing T1600 and upgrade to the T4000 with zero downtime and no service disruption. This hitless in-service software and hardware upgrade allows Columbus Networks to maintain business continuity for its customers while also removing the complexity from the upgrade process.
· Extending Investment Protection and Scalability – Juniper’s core solutions deliver exceptional investment protection with line cards that are compatible between all T Series routers. This minimizes upgrade costs for Columbus Networks and delivers a customizable pay-as-you-grow model. Columbus Networks can scale a single T4000 from a four Tbps chassis to a multichassis configuration with the TX Matrix Plus, which supports up to 16 Tbps. This provides the additional capacity necessary to stay ahead of the mobile bandwidth growth curve.
· “Our priority is to exceed customer expectations as our network continues to experience continuous growth. As we evolve the Columbus IP network and realize the capabilities of the T4000, Juniper has been a critical technology partner enabling us to reduce our operational expenditures while also increasing our performance, reliability and efficiency.”
– Paolo Autore, engineering manager, Columbus Networks
- “Now in its second year of production, the T4000 routers deliver the performance that service providers need to ensure network scalability, launch new services and enhance performance. The T4000 provides Columbus Networks with unmatched investment protection and will free up more time for it to continue expanding its business.”
– Paul Obsitnik, vice president, product marketing, Platform Systems Division, Juniper Networks
- Juniper.Net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.