Ottawa, Ontario – September 10, 2010 – Espial, a leader in on-demand TV software and solutions, today announced that it has joined forces with BTI Systems to bring Espial MediaBase to the far edge of the network. The recently announced BTI Systems WideCast 200 & 300 Series are carrier-grade, field serviceable, open standards edge servers that can deliver up to 30Gbps of video streaming and 8TB of storage in a small form factor edge server. To find out more, visit Espial at IBC, booth 5.A18.
- The phenomenal growth in on-demand video usage challenges service providers with ever increasing amounts of metro backbone network traffic. To offload this traffic, the Espial-BTI Systems offers a solution with intelligent content delivery and edge-based streaming. This cost-effective solution can reduce their access and metro backbone unicast traffic by up to 80% by delivering, storing and streaming popular video content at the network edge. This provides a dramatic reduction in networking costs and a superior video experience for on-demand video subscribers.
- The Espial-BTI Systems solution combines the Espial MediaBase on-demand video platform with the BTI WideCast 200 & 300 Edge Services appliances.
- The BTI WideCast solution is ideally suited to deliver edge on-demand video services with the following features:
- Small form factor – the WideCast solution is approved for deployment into ETSI, ANSI and cabinet locations at the network edge enabling the broadest options for service provider deployment.
- Open solution – BTI WideCast is designed with Intel Architecture and uses a Linux operating system and open standards. This allows operators to upgrade Espial MediaBase without costly hardware upgrades.
- Design flexibility – the Widecast server includes several NIC, storage and memory options to allow calibration to exact application requirements. This means VOD, Timeshift TV and content delivery applications can be optimized at the Network Edge. This allows Espial to delivery industry leading cost:performance server solutions at the network edge.
- In-service upgrades – The BTI WideCast solution can be simply and quickly updated.
- High performance – the WideCast solution support up to 8TB of storage and 30 Gbps of streaming.
- Espial MediaBase features multi-tier, high performance streaming, intelligent content delivery networking and advanced video quality capabilities. This provides services providers with the following benefits:
- High efficiency content distribution across the network and edge media streaming dramatically reduce network costs as demand for unicast delivery of media content soars.
- Excellent user experience with best-in-class quality of service for on-demand video streaming.
“We’re excited to be working with BTI System as we develop next-generation products to support our customers growing on-demand video traffic from the network edge” noted Sanjay Mehta, VP Engineering, Espial. “The on-demand video world means we have to bring our application ever closer to the TV service subscriber. BTI Systems provides an open, scalable, high performance solution that will benefit our customers as they tackle increasing capex costs.”
“BTI Systems and Espial are combining their strengths to deliver a compelling value proposition that will enable service providers to run their networks more efficiently by bringing high bandwidth content closer to the subscriber and gain a competitive edge,” said Gary Southwell, CTO, BTI Systems. “By expanding our relationship, BTI Systems and Espial will offer customers unparalleled expertise in content-aware networking, combined with a broader range of solutions, flexibility and lower risk for service providers around the globe.”
Video-On-Demand, VOD, Time-Shift TV, Remote-Storage DVR, RS-DVR, Network PVR, Network DVR, Over-The-Top, Content Distribution Networking, Content Delivery Networking, CDN, Packet Loss Recovery, RTP, RTP/RTCP, RSVP, Ericsson Openstream Digital Services Platform, Ericsson Xport Slicer, RFC 2205, QoS, QoE., Pegasus Interactive Services Architecture, ISA.
Espial is a leading supplier of on-demand TV software to the cable, telecommunications, and hospitality and consumer electronics industries. Its IPTV middleware, Video-on-Demand and TV browser solutions provide superior service delivery, advanced service innovation tools and flexible support for diverse pay-TV business models. Over 7 million licenses of its high performance, open and patented software are in use across the world. Espial is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and has offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. For more information please call +1.613.230.4770 or visit www.espial.com. Follow Espial on twitter and facebook.
About BTI Systems
BTI Systems provides multi-service networking platforms to address the increasing demand for packet services, greater optical capacity, dynamic networking, and management simplicity in service-provider and enterprise networks. Comprehensive packet optical capabilities leveraging innovative technologies and modular platforms allow BTI Systems to address a diverse range of applications within metro access, metro, and regional network environments. BTI Systems simplifies the transition to packet-based networking and enables network operators to profitably increase network capacity on demand up to 400Gbps per fiber pair. Leveraging high capacity WDM and integrated packet-based platform capabilities, BTI Systems simplifies network infrastructures and the delivery of video, storage, wired data, wireless data and voice, and media where and when it’s needed.
The BTI Systems portfolio consists of the BTI 7000 Series packet optical networking platform, the BTI 700 Series Carrier Ethernet access device portfolio, and the proNX Management Suite offering element, network, and service management plus strategic planning capabilities.