First LTE-Advanced in UAE with Nokia Networks and du
- Data speeds up to 225 Mbps
- Combines 1800 and 800 MHz FDD-LTE bands
Dubai, UAE – 24 June 2015
Nokia Networks enabled du, the Middle East’s fastest growing telecommunications service provider, to launch the first LTE-A (LTE-Advanced) services in the UAE. For launching LTE-A services on its 4G network, du used Nokia Networks’ advanced radio platform Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station, carrier aggregation software, and professional services, combining FDD-LTE bands 1800 MHz and 800 MHz.
Combining the wide coverage of a low band with the capacity of a high band provides the most efficient use of frequencies and superb coverage indoors and outdoors – allowing higher performance everywhere with peak data speed of up to 225 Mbps for customers.
Saleem AlBlooshi, Executive Vice President, Network Development and Operations, du, said: “This milestone underscores our global standing as a frontrunner in introducing latest mobile broadband technologies in the UAE. We timed it with the availability of CAT-6 smartphones* in the UAE, so that our customers can immediately enjoy higher download speeds with increased throughput and coverage. In addition, with this achievement we will be able to help the government realize its Smart City vision.”
Tony Awad, Head of du Customer Team at Nokia Networks, said: “This feat is a great example of how we help ambitious telecom service providers such as du address the ever-increasing demand for faster data speeds by taking advantage of existing spectrum. Our carrier aggregation solution helps du’s customers access wireless next generation data services across the UAE.”
Solution at a glance:
- Nokia Networks’ commercial Single RAN Advanced hardware, including the Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station for high-capacity throughput
- Software to aggregate FDD-LTE bands 1800 and 800 MHz
- Multi-layer radio network optimization and modernization of existing hardware
Did you know?
- du commercially launched LTE on 1800 MHz in June 2012 and successfully tested VoLTE on its commercial LTE network in August 2014. du demonstrated VoLTE calls during GITEX 2014; commercial launch is expected by Q2 2015.
- Also during GITEX 2014, du demonstrated LTE-A, delivering 900 Mbps over its LTE network by combining three carriers with MIMO 4×4. In July 2014, du tested LTE-A with carrier aggregation on its commercial network with 300 Mbps peak throughput by combining FDD-LTE bands 1800 MHz and 800 MHz.
- Blog: Nokia makes LTE-A Carrier Aggregation faster everywhere
- Webinar: Grow capacity
- Whitepaper: LTE-Advanced Evolution (Rel. 12-14)
- Whitepaper: LTE-Advanced (Rel. 12 and beyond)
- Whitepaper: LTE-Advanced (focus on Rel. 10)
- Infographic: LTE-A Carrier Aggregation
- Infographic: LTE-A Carrier Aggregation
- Youtube: Nokia LTE-A Carrier Aggregation
- Insight newsletter: How to make LTE-A even more advanced
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: LTE-Advanced, LTE-A, next generation data services, spectrum, carrier aggregation, du, Nokia Networks, Smart City
We started operating in 2007, offering mobile and fixed telephony, broadband connectivity and IPTV services. Today, we serve more than 7.5 million individual customers and over 80,000 businesses in the UAE. We also provide carrier services for businesses and satellite up/downlink services for TV broadcasters.
We won the Gallup Great Workplace Award. Our recruitment strategy aims to provide fulfilling opportunities for quality talent in a cosmopolitan working environment where more than 60 nationalities work 35% of which are Emiratis. We are the first telecom company in the world to release a Sustainability Report based on GRI-G4 comprehensive guidelines. Among our other laurels, we also have the credit of being the first in the UAE to be awarded with prestigious LEED Platinum certification for 2 of our green retail outlet.
du is 39.5 percent owned by Emirates Investment Authority, 20.08 percent by Mubadala Development Company PJSC, 19.5 percent by Emirates Communications and Technology LLC and the remaining by public shareholders. Listed on the Dubai Financial Market (DFM), the company trades under the name ‘du’.
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields. Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure software and services, HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence, and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing. www.nokia.com
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.