GSA confirms 360 LTE networks commercially launched by end 2014, strong growth in LTE-Advanced and VoLTE deployments
January 7, 2015: 360 operators have commercially launched LTE networks and service in 124 countries, according to data released today by GSA (Global mobile Suppliers Association) in the latest update of the Evolution to LTE report.
96 LTE networks were launched in 2014.
The most widely used spectrum for LTE network deployments continues to be 1800 MHz (3GPP band 3). 158 LTE1800 networks are commercially launched in 76 countries. 1800 MHz is used in almost 44% of LTE network deployments and also has the largest user devices ecosystem. Over 42% of LTE user terminals can operate in the 1800 MHz band.
The next most popular contiguous band for LTE deployments is 2.6 GHz (band 7) and is used in over 25% of networks. 800 MHz (band 20) is by far the most popular sub 1 GHz coverage choice for LTE and continued to gain share with almost 1 in 5 operators globally deploying networks using this spectrum.
While most operators deployed LTE networks in paired spectrum using the FDD mode, the LTE TDD mode (TD-LTE) for operators with unpaired spectrum had another year of growth in all regions, especially in China. 48 operators, which equates to more than 1 in 8 LTE operators, have commercially launched LTE service using the TDD mode.
Deployments breakdown for 360 commercially deployed networks:
312 operators deployed FDD mode only
31 operators deployed TDD mode only
17 operators deployed both FDD and TDD modes
Alan Hadden, President of GSA, said: “LTE-Advanced carrier aggregation deployment was the major trend in 2014. 49 operators have commercially launched LTE-Advanced in 31 countries. Taking account of additional deployments in progress, trials and studies, GSA calculates almost 30% of LTE operators are currently investing in LTE-Advanced technology.”
More key facts from the Evolution to LTE report:
* 611 operators are investing in LTE across 174 countries. This comprises 566 operator network deployment commitments in 166 countries (of which 360 networks have launched), and 45 pre-commitments trials in a further 8 countries
* The LTE commercial service footprint extended to a further 27 countries in 2014
* 80 operators in 42 countries i.e. over 22% of operators are investing in VoLTE deployments, studies or trials, with 14 operators having launched HD voice service using VoLTE in 7 countries. Many more launches are expected in 2015
* 107 operators in total, i.e. almost 30% of LTE operators have launched, are deploying or are trialling LTE-Advanced technologies. 49 operators have commercially launched LTE-Advanced carrier aggregation in 31 countries, and this figure could double in 2015
* 8 operators have commercially launched LTE using APT700 (700 MHz) band 28 spectrum. APT700 is a key coverage band for LTE with near-global market potential. 42 countries have allocated, committed to or recommend APT700 band 28 spectrum for LTE deployments, in markets covering 3.2 billion people. 55 APT700 (band 28) user devices comprising smartphones, tablets, CPEs and MiFi hotspots have been announced
* LTE roaming is market reality and increasingly commonplace
* 373 million LTE subscriptions globally by Q3 2014 (according to Ovum) achieving 131% YoY growth. The balance of regional shares continued to shift to Asia, driven by impressive growth in China
The Evolution to LTE report (January 7, 2015) is exclusively researched and published by GSA and available for registered site users to download via the link on http://www.gsacom.com
Numerous charts, maps etc. confirming the progress of mobile broadband developments including LTE and HSPA are available on the website home page and http://www.gsacom.com/news/statistics
For information about LTE user devices see the Status of the LTE Ecosystem report, download via the link on http://www.gsacom.com
Registration page for new users: http://www.gsacom.com/user/register
GSA (Global mobile Suppliers Association) represents GSM/EDGE, WCDMA-HSPA and LTE suppliers, providing reports, facts, analysis and information explaining market developments and trends. Through its website www.gsacom.com GSA supports a global community which includes 66,000 registered users, complemented by over 22,600 followers and members of GSA social network channels. More than 222,000 reports, information papers and other materials were downloaded from the GSA website in 2014.