The number of GSM subscriptions (including WCDMA-HSPA) reached important new milestones during Q2 2010 according to analysis by the Global mobile Suppliers Association (GSA) and revealed in its latest GSM/3G Market Update (August 2010).
* World market share of GSM subscriptions (including WCDMA-HSPA) now stands at almost 90% of all mobile technologies
* China has now passed 700 million GSM (including WCDMA-HSPA) subscriptions
* India has now passed 500 million GSM (including WCDMA-HSPA) subscriptions
* The APAC region has passed the 2 billion GSM (including WCDMA-HSPA) subscriptions milestone
* Central and Latin America and the Caribbean region has passed 500 million GSM (including WCDMA-HSPA) subscriptions
The Market Update delivers key facts and trends regarding mobile services and network evolution, operator commitments, deployments, service launches and the supporting eco-systems. Featured technologies include GSM/EDGE, WCDMA, HSPA-HSPA+, and LTE. The availability of spectrum for mobile services including mobile broadband is explained, including progress on re-farming initiatives (900 MHz, 1800 MHz) and the release of new bands – including digital dividend and 2.6 GHz spectrum.
The GSM/3G Market Update also highlights mobile HD voice service as an important market opportunity and information is provided on three commercial service launches which are announced and the growing eco-system of devices from leading vendors which support this service.
Information is also provided about two new GSA Mobile Broadband Forum seminars in Asia and Europe in September 2010, both featuring top industry presenters:
* Hong Kong: September 6, 2010 – a free to attend event jointly organized by GSA and the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTPC). Supported by the Hong Kong Wireless technology Industry Association (WTIA). Also see www.gsacom.com/events/event_267.php4
* London: September 27, 2010 – organized by GSA in association with the IIR Mobile Broadband World conference, forming part of the Mobile Strategy Day. Also see www.gsacom.com/programs/mobilebroadband.php4
The GSA GSM/3G Market Update (August 2010) is available now as a free download from www.gsacom.com
Fast Facts – stats at a glance: www.gsacom.com/news/gsa_fastfacts.php4
Charts and maps: www.gsacom.com/news/statistics.php4