Juniper Networks Expands Spotlight Secure to Stop Advanced Malware and Emerging Threats
Open Security Intelligence Platform Enables SRX Firewall Customers to Take Quick Action on Data from Varied Threat Detection Feeds to Enhance Protection of High-IQ Networks
Singapore – September 10, 2014 – Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced new advancements in its security capabilities that extend the Juniper Networks® Spotlight Secure threat intelligence platform and link it with firewall policies in Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateways. These new advanced security capabilities empower customers to quickly take action on intelligence from varied threat detection technologies by immediately pushing enforcement rules to SRX firewalls to cut off command-and-control (C&C) traffic, isolate infected systems and effectively combat a diversity of threats targeting networks. This novel approach frees customers to choose the most appropriate threat detection technologies available – including feeds customized to their business – rather than being locked into only the intelligence data offered by their firewall vendor.
As the threat landscape continues to accelerate and evolve, the security industry continues to respond with a variety of disparate new detection technologies. Unfortunately, this approach results in customers struggling to manage a patchwork of uncoordinated security tools, leaving a gap between detection and enforcement at the firewall. Many Next-Generation Firewalls (NGFW) include integrated capabilities, such as Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), anti-virus signatures and proprietary reputation feeds, but they are closed systems that are not capable of taking full advantage of the highly diverse third-party and custom feeds utilized by customers.
Juniper’s expanded Spotlight Secure platform addresses these challenges and constraints by aggregating threat feeds from multiple sources to deliver open, consolidated and actionable intelligence to SRX firewalls across the organization. These sources include Juniper threat feeds, third-party threat feeds and threat detection technologies that the customer can deploy. Administrators are now able to define enforcement policies from all feeds via a single, centralized management point.
Juniper is announcing major enhancements to the Spotlight Secure platform including:
· Threat Protection: New threat feeds for Spotlight Secure provide C&C and GeoIP feeds that not only adapt protection and firewall policies based on the severity of threats in the network, but also recognize and block traffic from specified countries and send selected traffic through additional security services. These new feeds augment Juniper’s industry-only attacker-device fingerprinting service, which is already available via Spotlight Secure.
- Tight Integration with the Network: Enhanced integration between Juniper Networks Junos® Space Security Director and Spotlight Secure links cloud-based threat feeds to the customer firewalls and provides a single aggregation point for multiple feeds into the firewall.
· Intelligent Firewall: Enhancements to the SRX firewall allow it to now consume and enforce policy based on the aggregated threat intelligence from detection technologies and feeds that reside both on premises and in the cloud.
This combination of new capabilities helps customers more effectively combat advanced threats in their networks. Key advantages to Spotlight Secure integrated with the SRX firewall include:
· Open and Scalable Security Intelligence Platform: The open approach to the Spotlight Secure platform allows customers to bring diverse threat intelligence and detection capable of providing timely, actionable enforcement on the firewall. The platform also provides increased scalability, which allows over one million entries in custom feeds, as well as the ability to manage the large number of feeds conveniently with a single point of management. This approach provides comprehensive enforcement to stop a broad spectrum of threats.
- Higher Security Effectiveness: Customers are now free to use and enforce the most effective technologies available provided by Juniper and other industry leaders – including feeds customized to their industry or even their specific organization. By providing real-time integration between threat feeds and the firewall, only the latest and most relevant intelligence is sent to firewalls. This approach reduces the need for manual transfer of new threat information to firewall enforcement ensuring fast time-to-enforcement and low false positive rates with the latest intelligence.
· Improved Operational Efficiency: With Spotlight Secure’s simplified enforcement model, companies can dramatically reduce administrative overhead.
o Centralized Management: Firewall policies, threat intelligence feeds, and reporting on enforcement and actions are all available in a single pane view with Security Director.
o Automated: The latest aggregated threat intelligence can now automatically syndicate across the entire firewall estate, with no need to update or commit firewall policy changes.
“We have transformed our security solution to address the challenges and constraints that our customers face with traditional firewalls. By creating an open framework that enables the aggregation of intelligence data from multiple feeds, we can provide application and user-level visibility. In addition, this solution is able to increase agility to effectively combat evolving threats in order to keep High-IQ networks secure.”
—Jonathan Davidson, senior vice president and general manager, Security, Switching, and Solutions Business Unit, Juniper Networks
“Eliminating IT costs, complexity and time delays are essential for the success of our business and for our customers. With Juniper, we can deliver customers greater investment protection and scalability when migrating to the latest cloud technology and ensure their network and application performance is uninterrupted.”
—Linda Li, marketing manager, Beijing JRunion Technology Co., Ltd
“It used to be good enough to simply move data packets around enterprises efficiently. But ‘good enough’ is no longer good enough. Our customers want more from their network – not only in terms of speed, security and capacity, but how to monetise as well as how much intelligence they can derive from it.”
—Edmund Wei, chief executive officer, CommVerge Solutions
“We believe in significantly reducing IT costs, complexity and time delays to accelerate our customers’ business! With exemplary responsiveness, superior design and sharp project execution, in association with Juniper, we aim to deliver superior return on technology investments and scalability when our customers migrate to the latest cloud technology, ensuring uninterrupted network and application performance.”
—Anil Nair, managing director & chief executive officer, AGC Networks, Ltd
· The Private Cloud: www.juniper.net/privatecloud
- Security Intelligence Center: www.juniper.net/security
- Spotlight Secure Datasheet
- Security for the Cloud Data Center with Juniper Spotlight Secure Threat Intelligence Platform
- Juniper.net Community:www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks’ innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.