Micron21 Identifies and Mitigates DDoS Attack Using NSFOCUS Anti-DDoS System
– Data Center Detected and Mitigated Emerging DDoS Attack
LONDON, Aug. 20, 2014 – In response to the ongoing Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks plaguing enterprises and data centers worldwide, NSFOCUS announced that its Anti-DDoS System (ADS) was instrumental in assisting Australian Data Center Micron21 to detect and mitigate a sophisticated DDoS threat, named by Micron21 as a Combination Distributed Reflective Denial of Service (CDRDoS).
- CDRDoS takes DRDoS attacks to the next level: On August 2, 2014, Micron21 detected a threat that targeted one of its customers and reached speeds of 40+gbits internationally and over 1.2gbit domestically within Australia. The company believes it represents the beginning of what is to be expected in the future of denial of service attacks. The self-named attack CDRDoS uses a combination of UDP attack vectors simultaneously, from a single attack tool. This includes NTP, DNS, SSDP and CHARGEN reflection amplification traffic that targets a single host. The company suspects the addition of SNMP will be added to further increase attack capacity in the near future.
- Micron21 relies upon NSFOCUS ADS to implement DDoS protection service: In response to ongoing threats, Micron21 expanded its portfolio to include a DDoS Protection as a Service program in early 2013. The company provides a variety of data scrubbing options for its clients and has integrated the ADS family of products into its service model to assist them in detecting and mitigating against DDoS threats.
- ADS mitigation appliance defends against DDoS attacks: To fight against volumetric and sophisticated attacks, NSFOCUS provides “all-in-one” (attack detection, mitigation and monitoring management) anti-DDoS solution for small to medium businesses (SMBs) and integrated protection solutions for hosting service providers, Internet data centers, such as Micron21, and large enterprises.
- Protecting the network, from layer 3 to Layer 7: The NSFOCUS ADS protects against and mitigates network layer attacks such as SYN Flood, UDP Flood, ICMP Flood, and more importantly, application layer attacks like HTTP and DNS variants.
Terence Chong, Solutions Architect, NSFOCUS, said:
“In order to stay ahead of the ongoing threats perpetrated by aggressive hacker groups, hosting providers and Internet data centers are looking for solutions that not only protect customer data but also their own brand reputation. Micron21 is a perfect example of how data centers can supplement their offerings by incorporating a DDoS Mitigation as a Service to increase ROI and ensure customer loyalty.”
James Braunegg, Managing Director of Micron21 Datacentre, said:
“By proactively monitoring our infrastructure and customer networks, we can provide around-the-clock protection and support to adapt to threats dynamically as they occur, with real-time visibility. By integrating the NSFOCUS anti-DDoS system into our platform, our staff is able to monitor and resolve issues before they are noticed and provide the ability to react within seconds of being alerted to any threat across our network.”
NSFOCUS is a global provider of distributed denial of service (DDoS) mitigation solutions. Founded in 2000, the company provides enterprise-level, carrier-grade solutions and services for DDoS mitigation, Web security and enterprise-level network security. With more than a decade of experience in DDoS research and development and mitigation, NSFOCUS has helped customers around the world maintain high levels of Internet security, website uptime and business operations to ensure that their online systems remain available. For more information, visit www.nsfocus.com.