SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Nov. 17, 2010 /PRNewswire/ — The Motorola Solutions business of Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today announced that its AirDefense Security & Compliance solution is being used by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to prevent unauthorized wireless access to its critical core network at 66 locations across the United States. Combining the industry-leading wireless intrusion detection system with a wireless vulnerability assessment module, the solution helps the FAA discover vulnerabilities that could be exploited and mitigate them before they have an impact on the safety of their systems and air travel in North America.
- AccessAgility, a Motorola partner and provider of customized information technology solutions, began working with the FAA in 2008, tasked with implementing a comprehensive wireless security monitoring and management system across key air traffic control, regional office and headquarters locations.
- AccessAgility recommended the AirDefense solution based on wireless security recommendations from the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the FAA’s own requirement for a centrally managed Information Systems Security (ISS) solution capable of enterprise detection and mitigation posed by unauthorized wireless devices.
- Trusted by many U.S. federal government organizations today, Motorola’s AirDefense solution provides network administrators with 24/7 monitoring and comprehensive rogue detection, containment features and automated remote wireless penetration testing. This allows information technology departments to proactively monitor wireless traffic and simulate attacks from a hacker’s point of view to identify vulnerabilities and secure the network before a breach occurs.
- AirDefense relies on a network of intelligent sensors at each location to monitor the radio frequency (RF) channels for possible threats from rogue access points (APs), breach attempts and/or the increasing volume of wireless traffic in the vicinity of each location.
- Data obtained from these sensors is aggregated via a central monitoring console, providing IT administrators with intelligent analytics that allow them to identify and respond to threats remotely in real-time. This eliminates the need for dedicated IT staff at each location, helping reduce the total cost of ownership and reduce the significant risk and cost of a network breach.
- The AirDefense Security & Compliance solution runs on a services platform that also supports the multi-vendor AirDefense Infrastructure Management solution and the AirDefense Network Assurance solution. The services platform is designed to remotely troubleshoot user connectivity issues and quickly fix WLAN performance problems reported by users to the Level 1 IT helpdesk.
Dan Engle, chief executive officer, AccessAgility
“As a trusted business partner to the Federal Aviation Administration, AccessAgility LLC is honored to support FAA programs that are helping protect FAA’s information systems from network security threats.”
Jim Mears, vice president and general manager, Motorola Solutions
“The proliferation of WiFi-enabled devices and the public and private wireless networks that support them requires federal agencies like the FAA to take a proactive stance in addressing possible threats brought on by the rapidly growing use of these technologies. By providing the FAA with 24/7 monitoring of the airwaves at key sites throughout the country, Motorola’s AirDefense solution helps ensure that threats are immediately identified and automatically mitigated with minimal false positives or disruption of service.”
Website: Motorola AirDefense Security & Compliance
Portal: The Pulse: Wireless Networking
Blog: Wireless Insights
Revenue from this transaction may have been recorded in prior periods.
Motorola delivers seamless connectivity that puts real-time information in the hands of users, which gives customers the agility they need to grow their business or better serve and protect the public. Working seamlessly together with its world-class devices, Motorola’s wireless network solutions include indoor wireless LAN, outdoor wireless mesh, point-to-multipoint, point-to-point networks and voice-over-WLAN solutions. Combined with powerful software tools for wireless network design, best-of-breed security, management and troubleshooting, Motorola’s solutions deliver trusted networking and access anywhere to organizations across the globe.
Motorola is known around the world for innovation in communications and is focused on advancing the way the world connects. From broadband communications infrastructure, enterprise mobility and public safety solutions to high-definition video and mobile devices, Motorola is leading the next wave of innovations that enable people, enterprises and governments to be more connected and more mobile. Motorola (NYSE: MOT) had sales of US $22 billion in 2009. For more information, please visit www.motorola.com.
Industry Analyst Contact: