NXP Launches its First Data Sharing App for Android
New Application enables tag writing for all NFC-enabled Android Smartphones & Tablets
Eindhoven, Netherlands, March 24, 2011: NXP Semiconductors N.V (NASDAQ: NXPI) today launched a new application which allows Android smartphone users to use their NFC-enabled handset to create their own NFC tags. These tags can then be used in multiple environments to share details and launch applications with other NFC handset users. The app also includes a tag reader for reading NFC tags. The NXP TagWriter app is available for download at the Android Market.
· The new app supports the NFC Forum’s NFC Data Exchange Format, offering tag writing support to any NFC-enabled device
· Integrates seamlessly like a plug-in into Android and provides an extended feature set compared to the built-in Tag application
· Stores the history of data read from tags and data written to tags, enabling it to be re-used at a later time
· Allows users to launch applications on a tap to initiate calls, open websites, send SMS messages and more
· The future of business cards – Incorporating NFC tags into business cards will enable contact details to be shared and stored onto the handset immediately.
· Retail – Taking NFC into the retail space offers new ways for retailers to interact with their customers such as:
o Automatic connection to Wi-Fi hotspots
o Shortcuts to check-in services such as Foursquare, Yelp and Google favorite places
· Locating transportation – Using NFC to access information on the move such as timetables and route maps
· Learn more about NXP’s NFC technology
· “This is one of the first consumer-centric NFC applications to be launched onto Android Market. One of the best features of NFC is the technology’s ability to read and share information with other NFC users,” said Henri Ardevol, vice president and general manager, secure transactions, NXP semiconductors. “Having this Android application in the market is a major step giving a powerful tool into consumer hands to make use of the wide feature set of NFC-enabled Android devices.”
· “Simple to use applications, which add value and simplify the user’s life, will be vital to the adoption of NFC. With this application, users can begin to put NFC at the heart of their world,” said Steven Fera, strategic account manager, NXP Semiconductors.
The application supports a whole range of NXP and third party products like MIFARE UltraLight™, MIFARE™ Classic, MIFARE DESFire™ EV1and many others. It also supports the NFC Forum Type 1 Tag, Type 2 Tag, Type 3 Tag and Type 4 Tag portfolio with its full feature set.
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 30 countries, NXP posted revenue of $4.4 billion in 2010. For more information visit www.nxp.com.
Text 100 Global Public Relations
M: +34 634 227 572
E:email@example.com • Skype: carposalazar • Twitter: carpochica
Working Days Monday – Thursday