OTE Powers Conn-x TV On-Demand Services With Espial MediaBase
Deploys Multi-Tiered, Intelligent Content Delivery Network Across 16 Locations Throughout Greece
Ottawa, Ontario – Aug 24, 2011 – Espial®, a leader in on-demand TV software and solutions, today announced that OTE, Greece’s largest telecom operator with over 3.5 million fixed lines subscribers, is powering their on-demand TV services with Espial MediaBase. OTE has implemented the most advanced features of Espial MediaBase including multi-tier video streaming, content delivery networking and automated asset transfer based on popularity.
- The OTE Conn-X TV service is now operating for more than 2 years and has proven extremely popular across the customer base.
- For its FilmExpress video-on-demand (VOD) service and FilmClub subscription VOD services, OTE offers recent release films as well as famous television series, movies, music videoclips, documentaries and cartoon series.
- The power of the Espial MediaBase content delivery networking is used to full advantage. OTE has deployed one central site with several edge sites. OTE benefits from the automated, multicast content distribution capability of Espial MediaBase which ensures the most efficient network utilization of any VOD platform in the market.
- OTE also harnesses the multi-tiered video streaming architecture of Espial MediaBase that allows it to store to long tail content centrally and popular assets locally. This provides the optimal capex formula for OTE as they can deploy edge sites with minimal hardware.
- OTE benefits from the automated, multicast content distribution capability of Espial MediaBase which ensures the most efficient network utilization of any VOD platform in the market. This enables intelligent and automated transfer of popular assets from the central cluster to edge clusters based on popularity and demand for a particular video asset.
- OTE leverages the Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) hardware advantage of Espial MediaBase. Espial MediaBase is highly optimized for COTS hardware using patented technology developed over 10+ years and a design time relationship with Intel. This optimization provides significant CAPEX, manageability and OPEX savings. It also allows operators to separate their hardware and software investment unlike VOD servers based on proprietary hardware.
- Espial MediaBase’s solution was selected and implemented for OTE by a leading global system integrator.
“OTE S.A. is a large Tier 1 carrier in South Eastern Europe covering more than 3.5 million subscribers. Espial’s MediaBase VOD servers have been deployed across their nationwide network, which further reinforces our current market leadership position for the VOD servers across several major Tier 1 and Tier 2 service providers in EMEA” noted Robert Hopkins, Espial. “Espial’s MediaBase is a carrier grade video server architecture that meets the demands of scalability, reliability and intelligent content distribution across large networks enabling a variety of on demand services, including VOD, network PVR, Timeshift TV, Pause Live TV, Improved Video Quality and Fast Channel Change.”
About OTE S.A.
Hellenic Telecommunications Organization (OTE S.A.) is the largest telecommunications provider in Greece, and together with its subsidiaries forms one of the leading telecom groups in Southeastern Europe. Following an agreement with the Greek Government, Deutsche Telekom holds 40% in OTE’ s share capital. The OTE Group offers a full range of products and services, from broadband services, fixed and mobile telephony, to high-speed data communications and leased lines services. In addition, the OTE Group in Greece is involved in a range of activities, notably satellite communications, real-estate and professional training. At present, OTE companies employ over 30,000 people in four countries.