Built for the Way We Communicate Today: Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ fuel new discoveries with Super Slow-mo video, best-in-class low light camera and AR Emoji for a more personalised way to express yourself
LONDON, UK – Feb. 25, 2018 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. introduces the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+, the smartphones that reimagines the way we communicate, share and experience the world. Made for the way we increasingly communicate and express ourselves more with images, videos and emojis, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ drive innovation with Samsung’s advanced camera. Redesigned with a new dual aperture lens that powers an innovative low-light camera, Super Slow-mo video capabilities and personalised AR Emoji, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ ensure users do not miss a moment and make their everyday epic.
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ deliver an enhanced entertainment experience with powerful stereo speakers tuned by AKG, surround effect supported by Dolby Atmos and a refined edge-to-edge Infinity Display – a key staple in Samsung’s design heritage. In addition, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ will come with the new SmartThings app, which unites Samsung’s existing IoT services into one single, smart experience.
“The way we use our smartphones has changed as communication and self-expression has evolved,” said DJ Koh, president and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics. “With the Galaxy S9 and S9+, we have reimagined the smartphone camera. Not only does the Galaxy S9 and S9+ enable consumers to shoot great photos and videos anywhere, it’s a smartphone that’s designed to help them connect to others and express themselves in a way that’s unique and personal to them.”
Today’s cameras are for more than taking pictures – they’re for connecting and communicating. Consumers want a smartphone camera with state-of-the-art technology so they can express themselves with high-quality images and tools to tell their own, unique story. The Galaxy S9 and S9+’s cameras are built with these consumers in mind, with a Super Speed Dual Pixel sensor with dedicated processing power and memory to take amazing shots with high photo quality. The Galaxy S9 and S9+’s camera features include:
- Super Slow-mo: Make every day moments epic with dynamic, slow-motion video that captures 960 frames per second. The Galaxy S9 and S9+ also offers automatic Motion Detection, an intelligent feature that detects movement in the frame and automatically begins to record – all users have to do is set up the shot. After capturing the Super Slow-mo video, users can select background music from 35 different options or add a tune from their favourite playlist. Users can also easily create, edit and share GIF files with a simple tap in three playful styles of looping to watch the action over and over again.
- Low Light Camera: Good lighting is the secret to any great photo. But often, photos are taken in less-than-ideal lighting conditions and most smartphone cameras have a fixed aperture that can’t adjust to low or bright lighting environments resulting in grainy or washed out pictures. Similar to the way the iris of a human eye expands and contracts, Samsung’s Dual Aperture[i] (F1.5/ F2.4) automatically lets in more light when it’s dark and less light when it’s too bright, taking photos that are crisp and clear.
- AR Emoji: Samsung lets users create an emoji that looks, sounds and acts like them. AR Emoji uses a data-based machine learning algorithm, which analyses a 2D image of the user and maps out more than 100 facial features to create a 3D model that reflects and imitates expressions, like winks and nods, for true personalisation. AR Emoji shares your real-life feelings not only in video but also with a range of stickers in uses a standard AGIF file format so users can share their emojis across most third-party messaging platforms.
- Bixby: Samsung’s intelligence platform, integrated into the camera, uses augmented reality and deep learning technologies to provide helpful information about a user’s surroundings.[ii] With real-time object detection and recognition, Bixby instantly generates information directly on top of the image that the camera is pointing at. Users can translate foreign languages and currency in real time with Live Translation, learn about their surroundings, purchase products seen in the real world and track calories throughout the day.[iii]
Smartphones are often our go-to choice for entertainment, which is why Samsung created a device that offers premium sound experiences with stereo speakers tuned by AKG. Whether users are watching their favourite movie or streaming their favourite artist’s latest album, sounds are clear, crisp and rich in quality. The Galaxy S9 and S9+ also support Dolby Atmos, giving the effect of 360-degree sound.
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ audio experience is complemented by Samsung’s revolutionary Infinity Display. First introduced on the Galaxy S8, the bold, bright Super AMOLED Infinity Display blends right into the phone with virtually no distracting notches. With adaptive contrast enhancement, users can use their device even in direct sunlight.
A Device that Fits with the Connected Lifestyle
As the first smartphone to support the new SmartThings app, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ are the central hub to manage every facet of the connected lifestyle at home, at the office or on the go. The SmartThings app will be introduced with S9 and S9+, and will connect to other Samsung and non-Samsung devices.
For those constantly on the move, the next-generation Samsung DeX empowers a mobile lifestyle by bringing a large, full-screen experience to the mobile handset. With DeX Pad, a new docking system, users can easily connect the Galaxy S9 and S9+ to a larger monitor, keyboard and mouse to expand the mobile experience with enhanced document editing or even full-screen gaming.[iv] Users can also transform the Galaxy S9 and S9+ into a Touch Pad with the DeX Pad[v].
The Best Comes Standard with the Galaxy Foundation
Samsung sets the gold standard for smartphones including IP68 water and dust resistance, and wireless charging. The Galaxy S9 and S9+ go a step beyond. The devices now support expandable memory of up to 400GB[vi] with a Micro SD Card and are equipped with the latest premium application processors offering powerful performance and sophisticated image processing.
In addition, the Galaxy S9 and S9+ give users the peace of mind knowing that their phone is protected by Knox 3.1, Samsung’s latest defence-grade security platform. The Galaxy S9 and S9+ support three different biometric authentication options – iris, fingerprint, and facial recognition – so users can choose the way they want to protect their device and applications. The devices support Intelligent Scan, a new verification that intelligently uses the collective strength of iris scanning and facial recognition technology to quickly and conveniently unlock a user’s phone in various situations. The Galaxy S9 and S9+ also introduce Dedicated Fingerprint, giving users the option to use a different fingerprint to access Secure Folder than the one used to unlock the phone.
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ takes health to the next level with an improved optical sensor built directly into the device, providing richer, more accurate information on user’s health status[vii]. This sensor allows the Galaxy S9 and S9+ to keep track of users’ Heart Load Factor, a new measurement of the real-time demand placed on your heart.
UK pre-order and launch details
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ will be available starting 16th March in the UK from Samsung.com and select retailers. It will launch with colours: Midnight Black, Coral Blue and a new hue, Lilac Purple.
- Pre-order will open on 25th February 2018 at 18.00 GMT
- Customers who pre-order before 7 March 23:59 GMT will receive their devices 7 days early on the 9th of March
- S9 – £739
- S9+ – £869
- Samsung and selected retailers are also offering various trade-in deals for customers when buying the S9 or S9+
For more information about the Galaxy S9, visit news.samsung.com/galaxy or www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-s9/
Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Product Specifications
|Galaxy S9||Galaxy S9+|
|OS||Android 8 (Oreo)|
|Display||5.8-inch Quad HD + Curved Super AMOLED, 18.5:9[viii],[ix] (570ppi)||6.2-inch Quad HD + Curved Super AMOLED, 18.5:910, 11 (529ppi)|
|Body||147.7mm x 68.7mm x 8.5mm, 163g, IP68[x]||158.1mm x 73.8mm x 8.5mm, 189g, IP6814|
|Camera||Rear: Super Speed Dual Pixel 12MP AF sensor with OIS (F1.5/F2.4)|
Front: 8MP AF (F1.7)
|Rear: Dual Camera with Dual OIS|
– Wide-angle: Super Speed Dual Pixel 12MP AF sensor (F1.5/F2.4)
– Telephoto: 12MP AF sensor (F2.4)
– Front: 8MP AF (F1.7)
|AP||10nm, 64-bit, Octa-core processor (2.7 GHz Quad + 1.7 GHz Quad)[xi]|
10nm, 64-bit, Octa-core processor (2.8 GHz Quad + 1.7 GHz Quad)
64GB + Micro SD Slot (upto 400 GB)
128GB + Micro SD Slot (upto 400GB)
|SIM Card||Single SIM: Nano SIM|
Dual SIM (Hybrid SIM): Nano SIM + Nano SIM or MicroSD slot
|Fast Wired Charging compatible with QC 2.0|
Fast Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
|Network||Enhanced 4X4 MIMO / CA, LAA, LTE Cat.18|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM, Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)[xii]|
|Sensors||Iris sensor, Pressure sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint sensor, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, HR sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor|
|Authentication||Lock type: pattern, PIN, password|
Biometric lock type: iris scanner, fingerprint scanner, face recognition, Intelligent Scan: multimodal biometric authentication with iris scanning and face recognition
|Audio||Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology,|
Audio playback format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
|Video||MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM|
*All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice
S9 / S9+ Accessories (Images here: https://we.tl/TApex17fIT)
- Hyperknit Cover: Made from a trendy new fabric used mainly in sportswear items such as running shoes, this case is unique and very light. A simple, slim design just for the Galaxy S9 and S9+. Available in red and Grey
- LED View Cover: This shell-like cover protects not only the front of your phone but the sides too. It’s easy to check notifications and use your phone with the LED display. Assign icons to your contacts and keep what’s important close at hand. A convenient card pocket allows you to carry a banking or transit card. You can also use the theme curation service to harmonise your theme, wallpaper, and icons in three easy steps. Available in Black, Blue and Purple
- Clear View Standing Cover: If you want to place your Galaxy S9 and S9+ in a standing position and watch media on the Infinity Display, this cover props up the screen at just the right angle. Answer or reject calls, check alerts, get notifications, view your battery level, and much more—all without having to open the cover. The Clear View Standing Cover offers enhanced protection, a dedicated UX, and distinctive themes you’ll love. Available in Black, Blue, Gold and Purple
- Protective Standing Cover: The Protective Standing Cover provides the ultimate protection for your Galaxy S9 and S9+. It also comes with a kickstand for optimised viewing when you’re watching movies and videos and because this sophisticated cover is only 3 mm thick, you can charge your S9 and S9+ wirelessly without removing it. Available in Black and Silver
- Alcantara Cover: The Alcantara Cover, made of the same suede-like material so often used for luxury car interiors, is the very embodiment of sumptuousness. It offers excellent protection from external shocks. This soft premium material also lines the case, cushioning your Galaxy S9 and S9+ from wear and tear. Available in Black, Blue, Red and Mint Grey
- Silicone Cover: Crafted from a distinctive matte silicone material, this trendy cover provides a soft touch and a comfortable grip. Not only that, but it offers robust protection. The inside is made of microfiber, shielding your phone from wear and tear. Available in Black, Grey, Mint and Pink
- Fast Wireless Charger: Wireless Charger is an eye-catching interior decor item. You can charge your Galaxy S9 and S9+ while it’s in a standing position and watch a movie while it’s charging
[i] The Dual Aperture supports F1.5 mode and F2.4 mode. Dual Aperture is installed on the rear camera (Galaxy S9) and rear wide-camera (Galaxy S9+)
[ii] Bixby service ability and features may vary by country. Voice Command recognises English (U.S.), Mandarin Chinese and Korean. Not all accents, dialects and expressions are recognized. Voice command works with a select, growing list of Samsung and third-party apps. See “Apps with Voice” in Bixby for a list of compatible apps. WiFi or network connection required
[iii] Bixby Food will not be available at launch in the UK, but will be released in the coming months. Bixby Food and Live Translate require WiFi or network connection to operate
[iv] Available on select Samsung smartphones running Android 8.0+. Using the original HDMI cable and charger included with DeX Pad is recommended. DeX Pad, keyboard, mouse, monitor sold separately.
[v] DeX Pad comes with HDMI cable, wall charger and data cable. Accessories including monitor sold separately. Use of original HDMI cable and charger included with DeX Pad is recommended. Dex Pad also supports Galaxy S8, S8+ and Note8.
[vi] External memory may be used to store media (photos, video and music files) but not applications
[vii] Intended for general wellness and fitness purposes only
[viii] Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners
[ix] Default resolution is Full HD+ and can be changed to Quad HD+ (WQHD+) in Settings
[x] IP68 water resistant up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes. Rinse afterwards in fresh water
[xi] May differ by country and carrier
[xii] Galileo and BeiDou coverage may be limited
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, digital appliances, network systems, and memory, system LSI, foundry and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at http://news.samsung.com.