IRVINE, Calif. – August 2, 2010 – Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that Sky Deutschland, a leading pay-TV provider in Germany and Austria, has selected Broadcom’s high performance and energy-efficient satellite set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions to enable multi-channel high definition (HD) and digital video recorder (DVR) functionality for subscribers. STBs and DVRs enabled by the Broadcom BCM7325 and BCM7335 single-chip, multi-format HD satellite STB SoC solutions are now available to manufacturers.
· Sky Deutschland selected Broadcom’s BCM7325 and BCM7335 satellite STB SoC solutions with HD and DVB-S2 support. The single-chip BCM7325 solution will power the next generation of HD non-DVR STBs, while the single-chip BCM7335 will be at the heart of Sky Deutschland’s first integrated DVR, Sky+. Both SoC solutions:
o Support MPEG-4 and integrate with NDS MediaHighway STB software to enable a Flash-based user interface that takes ease-of-use to a higher level.
o Support high levels of design integration, coupled with advanced technology, to improve STB design flexibility, reduce overall development cost and accelerate time-to-market.
- The BCM7325 and BCM7335 SoC solutions integrate key functionality that includes support for the following:
- The European Commission’s (EC’s) Code of Conduct (CoC) on Energy Efficiency of Digital TV Service Systems to lower power consumption.
- NDS VideoGuard conditional access and MediaHighway set-top box software to provide security and advanced services.
- DVB-S2 to support worldwide transmission standards.
- The BCM7325 and BCM7335 SoC solutions are currently shipping in volume production to STB manufacturers.
Gerry Duffy, Senior Vice President of Technology, Sky Deutschland
“Broadcom’s advanced satellite set-top box technology provides best-in-class integration, performance and energy-efficiency, enabling us to offer our subscribers advanced functionality, while also reducing power and energy requirements in the home.”
Dan Marotta, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom’s Broadband Communications Group
“Sky Deutschland continues to innovate home entertainment in Germany and Austria by offering advanced services and high-quality programming to its subscribers. We look forward to leveraging our extensive experience in designing high performance, energy-efficient STB solutions to meet the requirements of Sky Deutschland and the industry.”
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadcom Broadband Communications Group http://bit.ly/4BDSLs
About Sky Deutschland
Sky Deutschland provides satellite, cable and Internet services featuring a diverse choice of unique TV options and high-quality, innovative programming with distribution to approximately 95 percent of Germany and 85 percent of Austria.
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry’s broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world’s largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, holds more than 4,300 U.S. and 1,800 foreign patents, and has more than 7,900 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.