Sonus and Cellusys Partner to Address SS7 Security Vulnerabilities
Multi-Layer Security Solution Protects Mobile Networks and Subscribers from Hackers
· Sonus and Cellusys provide network operators with a comprehensive security solution that protects the SS7 network.
· By combining Sonus’ Signaling Transfer Points (STP) and Cellusys’ Signaling Firewall, operators can provide network protection for subscribers from illegal tracking, call intercept, fraud and Denial of Service (DoS) attacks.
· Joint solution supports SS7 and Diameter protocols, providing network operators with investment protection during the lengthy migration to Diameter.
WESTFORD, Mass. and DUBLIN, Ireland – Sonus Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: SONS), a, and Cellusys, a leading global provider of signaling-based technology, announced today they are partnering to provide mobile and fixed network operators with a multi-layer Signaling System 7 (SS7) security solution.
SS7 is a telecommunications standard that provides the signaling for network operators to set up and tear down calls, route Short Message Service (SMS) messages, support inter-network connectivity and transparent roaming, and provide per-session information. As SS7 networks have expanded outside of trusted operator environments, security exposures have revealed network vulnerabilities.
With the joint Sonus and Cellusys solution, Sonus’ STP manages traffic and secures the network from unauthorized access through whitelist, blacklist and gateway screening and accounting, stopping malicious attacks before they reach core network elements. For SS7 messages where there are concerns regarding legitimacy, the STP forwards the message to Cellusys’ Signaling Firewall to provide context and stateful message assessment to ensure private information is not exposed. In addition to security, the solution also delivers unparalleled scalability, advanced number portability and detailed reporting.
The Sonus STP and the Cellusys Signaling Firewall support Diameter protocols, delivering resiliency and investment protection to customers migrating from SS7 to Diameter and Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks.
“With billions of mobile subscribers still being served by SS7, network operators must address today’s SS7 security flaws while providing network operators with investment protection during their multi-year migrations to Diameter,” said Stephane Teral, Senior Research Director, IHS Technology. “Network operators will look to vendor solutions that will protect their subscribers from these malicious attacks.”
“In a mobile-first world, consumers should not have to worry about getting hacked or tracked,” said Bill Welch, Sonus senior product manager, Signaling Solutions. “By addressing SS7 security flaws, Sonus and Cellusys provide mobile network operators with a solution that increases subscriber trust levels and decreases churn rates.”
“There’s a lot of discussion around the migration to Diameter and LTE Networks. Yet, SS7 protocol-based networks serve the vast majority of mobile subscribers and indications are that SS7 will be around for quite some years,” said Dawood Ghalaieny, CEO, Cellusys. “With increasing interest on SS7 security flaws from global mainstream media – and from network operators and subscribers – it’s critical we address these vulnerabilities immediately. We are optimistic about working with Sonus to provide network operators with a complete security solution to counter these malicious attacks.”
· There are more than four billion mobile subscribers worldwide served by SS7 networks, making up 87 percent of the total mobile population, according to IHS Technology; VoLTE Services & Subscribers Market Tracker, a component of the Mobile Infrastructure IS.
· According to reports from GSMA, subscriber and usage growth in SS7-based 3G networks is expected to continue well into the year 2020.
· Click here to watch a recent 60 Minutes report from CBS News: How Strangers Can Hack the Phone in Your Pocket.
· For more information on the Sonus and Cellusys joint solution, click here.
· Click here for more information on Sonus’ STP solution.
· For more information on Cellusys’ Signaling Firewall, click here.
· To download a copy of Sonus’ SS7 Evolution whitepaper, click here.
Sonus brings the next generation of Cloud-based SIP and 4G/VoLTE solutions to its customers by enabling and securing mission critical traffic for VoIP, video, IM and online collaboration. With Sonus, enterprises can intelligently secure and prioritize real-time communications, while service providers can deliver reliable, secure real-time services for mobile, UC and social applications. Sonus offers an award-winning portfolio of hardware-based and virtualized Session Border Controllers (SBCs), Diameter Signaling Controllers (DSCs), Cloud Exchange Networking Platform, Policy/Routing servers and media/signaling gateways. Visit www.sonus.net or call 1-855-GO-SONUS. Follow Sonus on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
For 10 years Cellusys has been building precision technology for mobile networks: roaming, security, and analytics solutions. The people at Cellusys love technology, and the engineers have end–to–end control of production – which better enables them to build intuitive, powerful, precise solutions. This makes for better experiences for subscribers, and more profit for operators. For more information, visit www.cellusys.com.