Sony Mobile offers more choice, flexibility and innovation for truly great experiences
· Introducing the premium Xperia™ Z3 series – no-compromise flagship features and experiences, now in a choice of three popular form factors
· Mid-range Xperia™ E3 brings Sony’s Z series flagship design, fun features and fast performance at an affordable price
· Continued innovation in Sony’s SmartWear Experience with two new additions – SmartBand Talk and SmartWatch 3
3rd September 2014, IFA, Berlin – Sony Mobile Communications delivers on its commitment to deliver product and experiences that are bigger, better and bolder than ever, with innovations across its Xperia™ smartphone, tablet and SmartWear portfolio.
“Sony is relentless in its pursuit of innovation and we believe that consumers shouldn’t settle for good experiences, but demand great ones. It’s this spirit of customer focused innovation that drives us to deliver great products and experiences, with the widest ever choice and flexibility, without compromise,” said Kunimasa Suzuki, President and CEO, Sony Mobile Communications.
XperiaTM Z3 series – premium smartphones and tablet in a choice of form factors
Xperia Z3 blends design and engineering craftsmanship to deliver beauty that will stand the test of time. Weighing just 152g with an easy-to-use interface and symmetrical design, it feels right at home in your hand. Its 7.3mm super-slim rounded aluminium frame and durable tempered glass panels showcase superior craftsmanship – available in your choice of a new range of colours including white, black, copper or silver green1. A dual SIM variant is also on offer in select markets.
Beautifully rounded liquid reflection frame with tempered glass panels gives Xperia Z3 Compact an elegant, premium finish. It is the only smartphone to deliver uncompromised performance in a beautifully compact design and at just 8.6mm thick and weighing 129 grams, Xperia Z3 Compact is perfectly designed for one-handed use. Enjoy bold style with the unique colour range including orange and green, in addition to the classic white and black.
The world’s slimmest and lightest waterproof tablet2. Impossibly slim, astonishingly light and exquisitely crafted – Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact is a design sensation. At just 6.4mm slim and weighing less than 270 grams, the ultra-portable 8” tablet feels weightless in your hand. Created using the highest quality materials, its clean lines and uniquely designed power button capture Sony’s exquisite attention to detail. Stainless steel corners, an ultra slim rounded frame and a tempered glass front give an elegant and durable finish – available in either white or black.
XperiaTM Z3 series – premium experiences across the flagship range
· Designed to use wherever you go with the highest waterproof rating3 (IP 65/68) – whether you’re answering a call in the rain or taking pictures in the pool, you can use these products with confidence.
· Create like never before with new social camera apps and editing features. Capture an event and your reaction to it at the same time with Face in. Add scribbles and animations to pictures with AR fun. Automatically create a movie from your photos and videos with Movie creator. Record from multiple angles with up to three compatible Xperia devices filming at the same time with Multi-camera. Or add sound to a photo with Sound Photo.
· Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact: Capture every moment in stunning detail with the best camera and camcorder in a smartphone4 thanks to the unique combination of the 20.7 megapixel camera with 1/2.3 Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor, BIONZ™ for mobile processing engine and new 25mm wide-angle Sony G Lens. Enjoy the world’s first ISO 12800 sensitivity in a smartphone5 for better detail, even in low light. Sony’s new and improved SteadyShot™ technology with Intelligent Active Mode assures smoother videos and images. Record clips in super-clear 4K resolution now available for the first time in a compact smartphone.
· Listen to music as the artist intended with Sony’s incredible High-Resolution Audio experience when paired with Sony’s latest High-Res Audio headphones. To breathe new life into your existing music collection, Sony’s ground-breaking DSEE HX technology – available now for the first time in our Z3 series – ‘upscales’ the fidelity of your MP3 or AAC music collection to near High-Resolution quality. Sony’s Digital Noise Cancelling technology reduces ambient noise by up to 98% when paired with the MDR-NC31EM Digital Noise Cancelling headset, so you can enjoy your music without distraction.
· Watch movies in perfect clarity on an ultra-bright display enhanced with Sony’s latest TV technologies – TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile with Live Colour LED, X-Reality for mobile and intuitive contrast enhancement ensure an entertainment experience this is both sharp and vivid, even in bright sunlight.
· Play PS4™ games anywhere in your home with the addition of PS4™ Remote Play6 on Xperia Z3 series. Your Xperia Z3 series are the only smartphones and tablet with PS4 Remote Play which means you can use them as a remote screen to connect to and control your games on PS4. For those times when the TV is being used, simply connect your Xperia Z3 series device to your PS4 via home Wi-Fi and use the DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller with the GCM10 Game Control Mount to continue playing games anywhere at home on your smartphone or tablet.
· Performance is unmatched thanks to the Qualcomm® Snapdragon 801 Quad-core processor7 with 2.5GHz speed for lightning fast browsing and multi-tasking. This is enhanced by exceptional battery performance providing up to two days battery life8 (Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z3 Compact). Get even more from your battery with Sony’s Battery STAMINA Mode, which turns off background functions when you’re not using them to help extend your battery life.
XperiaTM E3: Mid-range smartphone with Sony’s Z series flagship design, fun features and fast performance at an affordable price
Xperia E3 features the flagship Z3 series design, a generous 4.5” display, 5MP camera with HDR and creative camera apps, and fast performance – all at an affordable price. Xperia E3 is designed with resilient corners and a scratch-resistant screen made with durable tempered glass to keep your phone looking smart for longer. It is available in a range of colours to express your individual style – choose from white, black, lime and copper (colours may vary by market). A dual SIM variant is also available in select markets.
Expanded range of accessory ecosystem
Sony has also unveiled a range of compatible accessories to further enhance your experience and now offers over 160 NFC compatible products. The BSP10 Bluetooth® Speaker is a portable Bluetooth® speaker with Qi wireless charging, superior sound and premium Sony design. SBH60 Stereo Bluetooth® Headset is a uniquely designed wired and wireless Bluetooth® headset, with call handling and media remote control functionality for everyday use.
Lifelog: A personal Android application from Sony that captures and tells your story.
Available either pre-loaded or downloadable from the Google Play Store, Sony’s Lifelog application enables you to set and achieve goals, bookmark memorable moments, and revisit memories any time, so that you get to know yourself better, and make smarter choices to feel your best.
COMPATIBLE WITH LIFELOG
SmartBand Talk: A powerful lifelogging wearable, with intuitive features.
SmartBand Talk features a curved 1.4” e-paper display that is highly visible and clear, giving you always-on updates of your Lifelog activities, notifications and to tell the time at a glance. A built-in microphone and speaker, combined with a short call function, lets you talk into it and hear your caller. You can also assign your own sounds to life bookmarks and use your voice to carry out specific smartphone operations (SmartBand Talk Voice Control will be available at launch, initially supporting Japanese, UK and US English, French, German, Italian and Spanish). New built-in accelerometer and altimeter sensor technology provide an accurate overview of your daily physical activity. The waterproof9 (IP68 rated) design is available in black at launch, with further colours available later in the year.
SmartWatch 3: Sony’s latest generation “smartwatch”, powered by Android Wear.
SmartWatch 3 is Sony’s latest “smartwatch”, but the first specifically designed for the latest Android Wear updates in close collaboration with Google. It organizes your information, suggests what you need, and shows it to you before you even ask. SmartWatch 3 also offers impressive standalone functionality with the built-in Accelerometer, Compass, Gyro and GPS sensor technology providing more accurate, more powerful lifelogging. SmartWatch 3 sports a 1.6” 320×320 transflective display, set within a stainless steel core unit that is both premium and waterproof9 (IP68 rated) available in Classic (black) and Sport (lime) editions, with extra colour straps available in pink and white.
Follow @SonyMobileNews for all the latest #SonyIFA news, views and information.
1 Silver green available in select markets only
2 Compact Tablets are defined by Strategy Analytics as tablets with a display size greater than 7 inches and less than 9 inches. Xperia™ Z3 Tablet Compact is slim (6.4mm), light (270g), dust-tight and waterproof (in compliance with IP65/68). Specifications verified by Strategy Analytics’ SpecTRAX Service as of 26th August 2014, for more information on Strategy Analytics results go to: www.sonymobile.com/testresults/
3 In compliance with IP65 and IP68, the Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact and Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact are protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) dust tight and (ii) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP65; and/or (iii) can be kept under 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP68. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. For more information see www.sonymobile.com/durability
4 Xperia Z3: Based on the results of specifications comparison, a blind assessment of the imaging and video experiences delivered by Sony Xperia Z3 Smartphone and LG Nexus 5, Apple iPhone 5S, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8 as rated by 201 UK consumers.
Xperia Z3 Compact: Based on the results of specifications comparison, a blind assessment of the imaging and video experiences delivered by Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and HTC One Mini 2, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, Apple iPhone 5S and Apple iPhone 5C as rated by 207 UK consumers. Leading smartphones were defined by Strategy Analytics as top selling smartphones globally. Research was conducted by Strategy Analytics between 4-5 August 2014. For more information, go to: www.sonymobile.com/testresults
5 Xperia™ Z3 is a waterproof and dust tight (in compliance with IP65/68), slim (7.35mm), Android smartphone featuring a 20.7MP camera with 4k video capture and ISO 12,800. Xperia™ Z3 Compact is a waterproof (in compliance with IP65/68), slim (8.65mm), 4.6 inch, Android smartphone featuring a 20.7MP camera with 4k video capture and ISO 12,800. Strategy Analytics define a Compact Smartphone as a smartphone with a display size of less than 5 inches. Specifications verified by Strategy Analytics’ SpecTRAX Service as of 26th August 2014, for more information on Strategy Analytics results go to: www.sonymobile.com/testresults
6 Functionality available on Sony Xperia Z3, Z3 Compact and Z3 Tablet Compact starting from November 2014. PlayStation®4 System, DUALSHOCK®4, Sony Entertainment Network and high speed internet connection required. Some games may not support this feature
7 The Snapdragon 801 processor is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
8 Based on multiple battery performance testings conducted between July and September 2014 in a laboratory under an active use conditions reflective of the Typical Smartphone User by Sony Mobile Communications AB. For more information go to: www.sonymobile.com/testresults
9 In compliance with IP65 and IP68, SmartBand Talk and SmartWatch 3 are protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) dust tight and (ii) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP65; and/or (iii) can be kept under 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP68.
About Sony Mobile Communications
Sony Mobile Communications is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation, a leading global innovator of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for both the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Through its Xperia™ smartphone and tablet portfolio, as well as innovative SmartWear products, Sony Mobile Communications delivers the best of Sony technology, premium content and services, and easy connectivity to Sony’s world of networked entertainment experiences. For more information: www.sonymobile.com
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market. 3) Icons displayed are for illustrative purposes only. The homescreen may appear different in your product. Some features may not be available in your country or area.
About Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PlayStation®4 (PS4®) computer entertainment system, PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system, PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system, PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and PSN software and hardware in 109 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. SCEE has revolutionised home entertainment since they launched PlayStation® in 1994. PlayStation®4 redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalisation and deeply integrated social capabilities. PS Vita is an ultimate portable entertainment system that offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context. PS3® is an advanced computer system, incorporating the powerful Cell Broadband Engine and RSX processors. PSP® is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games with high-quality full-motion video and high-fidelity stereo audio. SCEE also delivers the PlayStation® experience to open operating systems through PlayStation®Mobile, a cross device platform. SCEE also develops, publishes, markets and distributes entertainment software for these formats, and manages the third party licensing programs for the formats in these territories.
More information about PlayStation® products can be found at www.playstation.com.