Alcatel-Lucent to provide network integration, products and software to integrate various mobile frequencies and technologies into single scalable network
Paris, December 6, 2010 — Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) has been awarded a five-year contract to help develop and deploy Sprint’s new Network Vision, a blueprint for a cost-effective, innovative network plan to further enhance voice quality and data speeds for customers across the United States.
Through Network Vision, Sprint will consolidate multiple networks into one seamless infrastructure by implementing multi-mode technology to enhance service — coverage, quality and speed — create network flexibility, reduce operating costs and improve environmental sustainability. Alcatel-Lucent was one of three vendors chosen for the Network Vision project. Sprint expects that the total estimated incremental cost of the Network Vision program over the deployment period is between $4 billion and $5 billion.
Sprint has selected Alcatel-Lucent to provide comprehensive turnkey network integration services, converged radio access network (RAN), IP/MPLS and packet microwave backhaul and network monitoring in markets in the northeastern, mid-Atlantic and southern California regions of the United States, including New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, D.C./Baltimore and Los Angeles.
“Sprint looks forward to working with Alcatel-Lucent on this important network evolution project designed not only to improve the customer experience, but to take our customers to the next level of mobility, and beyond,” said Steve Elfman, president, Network Operations and Wholesale, Sprint. “Through our competitive vendor selection process, Alcatel-Lucent demonstrated that they are ready to deliver innovative, cost-effective, state-of-the art technology and deliver financial value to Sprint.”
“Sprint is a longstanding and valued customer of Alcatel-Lucent. These network enhancements represent a bold move enabling Sprint customers to have the latest, most cutting-edge services and capabilities not just for today, but also as Sprint evolves to its unified next generation network,” said Robert Vrij, President of Alcatel-Lucent’s Americas Region. “What’s more, we are supporting Sprint’s strong commitment to eco-sustainability with technology that helps them reduce carbon footprint and energy costs in their network. We look forward to helping Sprint implement its Network Vision over the coming years.”
Alcatel-Lucent is providing:
· Comprehensive turnkey network integration services, including professional services suite of installation and commissioning, software integration, training, project management and deployment.
· Multi-standard base station solution that flexibly supports both 3G and multiple technologies across multiple radio spectrum bands.
· 9900 Wireless Network Guardian (WNG) providing unique insight into network performance allowing Sprint to analyze and optimize the relationship between application traffic, network performance, and subscriber experience.
· 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM), providing end-to-end wireless IP operations and management, from cell tower to packet core.
· Hybrid and coaxial cables and antennas from Radio Frequency Systems (RFS).
Colleen M. Nugent
Corporate Media Relations
+1 908-582-6443 (office)
+1 908-451-0833 (mobile)