TeleCommunication Systems Extends Industry-Leading 9-1-1 Support to Next Generation VoLTE Networks
Voice over LTE 9-1-1 Solution Enables Seamless Transition for Carriers Upgrading to 4G/LTE Networks
NEW ORLEANS, May 8, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ –CTIA Booth: 4423 — TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology, today announced the availability of TCS VoLTE (Voice over LTE) 9-1-1, enabling carriers to reliably deliver emergency voice communication services as they transition to new 4G/LTE networks.
Network operators are embracing next generation network technologies to provide improved service for subscribers. As services evolve and the public embraces LTE, carriers must meet Federal Communications Commission mandates to ensure that 9-1-1 services reliably support public safety requirements without interruption. TCS is an active participant and lead contributor in LTE standards as they relate to 9-1-1 technology. Built upon the single largest VoIP emergency call processing platform in the nation, the TCS VoLTE 9-1-1 solution is cost-effective, highly flexible, customizable and standards-based.
The TCS VoLTE 9-1-1 Solution includes:
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) platform built for LTE and dedicated to 9-1-1 processing: The emergency call routing platform uses a robust, highly-reliable, standards-based SIP architecture that natively supports the IMS-based LTE network over which 9-1-1 calls are delivered.
- Call routing to the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP): The TCS 9-1-1 Emergency Call Server (ECS) Route Determination Function routes a VoLTE 9-1-1 call using well-established FCC Phase-I data (Cell ID) and further provides new routing capabilities based on Wi-Fi MAC Address and Femtocell ID.
- Re-bid by PSAP for precise location after call routing: The TCS 9-1-1 ECS Location Retrieval Function (LRF) allows a wireless operator complete flexibility in choosing its underlying high-accuracy location technology. The ECS-LRF supports updated/precise position requests using any of the following:
- Control Plan Location request using Mobile Location Protocol (MLP) to an E-GMLC (Evolved GMLC)
- User Plane Location request using MLP to a User Plane Location Server
- PSAP telecommunicators can call back if disconnected: The TCS solution remains fully backwards compatible supporting necessary functions such as providing PSAPs with full 10-digit subscriber callback numbers.
- Emergency voice call continuity for location service: The TCS 9-1-1 ECS supports location continuity and location delivery to the PSAPs in the usage scenarios where the 9-1-1 call switches from 4G/LTE to 3G/2G networks.
- Multiple provisioning interface tools: These tools make cell site database provisioning quick and easy and enables wireless operators to select the option that best meets their deployment needs, resulting in timely and responsive 9-1-1 data management.
- Chris Nabinger, senior vice president, Safety & Security Group, TCS, said: “TCS is dedicated to the development of 9-1-1 solutions that improve public safety and emergency response. As carriers transition to delivering voice over 4G/LTE networks, subscribers expect that access to 9-1-1 services will be reliable and uninterrupted. The TCS VoLTE 9-1-1 solution takes advantage of TCS’ years of experience in the public safety communications marketplace to help ensure subscribers receive the connectivity and responsiveness they need in an emergency situation.”
Since deploying the first U.S. wireless E9-1-1 solution in 1998, TCS has been pioneering public safety solutions for wireless E9-1-1, NG9-1-1 and E1-1-2. TCS supports half of all U.S. wireless E9-1-1 calls serving more than 140 million wireless and IP-enabled devices. With the nation’s only non-carrier TL 9000-certified wireless and VoIP E9-1-1 Network Operations Center (NOC), TCS’ highly-reliable E9-1-1 solutions ensure that a subscriber’s emergency call routes to the appropriate PSAP and automatically delivers the caller’s location information.
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS’ cyber security expertise and professional services and highly secure, deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com.