Wind River Introduces Industry Profiles for Next-Generation VxWorks Real-Time Operating System
• Industry-specific profiles for VxWorks 7 include networking, industrial, medical, and consumer.
• New features and capabilities address the new market opportunities created by the Internet of Things.
• Collection of middleware will help manufacturers bring connected, IoT-ready devices to market faster, while reducing risks and development costs.
ALAMEDA, Calif. – July 15, 2014 – Wind River®, a world leader in delivering software for intelligent connected systems, has introduced industry profiles for the latest version of its market-leading VxWorks® real-time operating system (RTOS). The profiles enrich VxWorks 7 with a range of highly relevant capabilities that help customers meet industry and technology requirements needed to address the new market opportunities created by the Internet of Things (IoT).
The industry-specific profiles include features and enhancements pertaining to safety, security, connectivity, manageability, user interface, and graphics. The following profiles are now available:
• Networking Profile that enables manufacturers of network infrastructure to rapidly create, test, deploy, maintain, and manage high-quality network devices, wired or wireless.
• Industrial Profile which provides industrial device manufacturers with essential multimedia and connectivity middleware, including drivers and protocols for connected devices on the factory floor, wireless peripherals, and other devices within the network infrastructure.
• Medical Profile which helps manufacturers of medical devices with human machine interface and connectivity middleware specifically tailored for the needs of medical device manufactures.
• Consumer Profile that offers a fast-boot, small-footprint, low-power run-time environment ideal for smaller form factor connected devices such as wearables, mobile handhelds, digital imaging devices, residential gateways, and broadband access devices.
“From intelligent industrial products and networking equipment, to consumer electronics and medical devices, VxWorks 7 will help manufacturers bring connected, IoT-ready applications to market faster, while reducing risks and development costs,” said Dinyar Dastoor, vice president of product management at Wind River. “The new collection of middleware in our industry-specific profiles is the perfect complement to our RTOS platform known for its rock-solid determinism, reliability, and unprecedented ecosystem of complementary third-party hardware and software technologies.”
The company has also announced that VxWorks is the first major commercial RTOS to be enabled on the Intel® Quark SoC X1000, further positioning it as the RTOS of choice for applications requiring low power and small footprint. The VxWorks 7 and Intel Quark offering is highly suitable to enable products across the system from the device to the cloud.
Recognized as the industry-leading RTOS, VxWorks has been re-architected with a highly modular approach leading to the separation of the VxWorks core operating system from packages such as the file system or networking stack. As a result, individual applications can now be updated at any time without requiring a rework or retest of the entire system, increasing scalability and the ability to quickly adjust to market changes.
More information about VxWorks profiles is available at http://tinyurl.com/VxWorksProfiles. And to learn more about how Wind River is addressing the opportunities and challenges created by the Internet of Things, visit http://tinyurl.com/iotsite.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel® Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in delivering software for intelligent connected systems. The company has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981, and its technology is found in nearly 2 billion products. Wind River offers the industry’s most comprehensive embedded software portfolio supported by world-class global professional services and support, and a broad partner ecosystem. Wind River delivers the technology and expertise that enables the innovation and deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com.